Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU has a customer for life....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU has a customer for life....

I love NFCU. Seriously, they are always willing to help you out.

They are currently offering a 2.99% balance transfer (with no transfer fee) for 12 months. I thought, "Hey, I can pay off my higher interest USAA card". Sounds like a good deal. But to transfer my USAA balance to NFCU, I would need a CLI; Was at 5k (with 3300 owed) and decided to ask them a couple of days ago to raise that limit to 10k (used the online application).

I got a 7-10 day message Smiley Sad

Decided to give them a call last night (it was around 1am so could only talk to a frontline CSR) to check on the status: Denied Smiley Sad

Immediately after the phone call, I decided to send them this email:

First off, I have been a NFCU member since 2005. I have/had a checking acct., savings acct., MMSA, car loan, a couple of personal loans and a credit card; not once have I ever missed a payment. Additionally, when I do make a payment, it is almost ALWAYS more than the the minimum amount due (check my credit card payments for instance).

I was hoping to take advantage of the 2.99% balance transfer deal you are currently offering to transfer my USAA credit card balance and a HSBC balance. But, to do that, I would need to increase my CC Limit to 10000 (so that I would still have a cushion of available credit). I have never missed a payment on those cards either (as you will see from my credit report --- and again, usually paying MORE than the minimum balance).

So, if I'm already making payments on those higher interest cards (also NEVER missed a payment) why would you, NFCU, not want that extra business? I just don't understand what factors from my credit report went into denying my CLI.

Hope you guys are able to help.

A LOYAL and RELIABLE member,

-Brian

And then received this message today:

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We apologize for any miscommunication in reference to your credit limit increase. We are pleased to inform you that your increase has been approved on your nRewards Visa for $10,000.00, effective immediately. If you have any questions, please let us know.

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

The point of this story? Even if you are initially denied, ALWAYS try and talk to a person to plead your case; you might be surprised by the outcome.

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Current Accounts:

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold: aged 4.5 yrs, 2700 avg. monthly spending)

NFCU Car Loan: 12340 (aged 1.5 yrs, 9.9% - 60month, balance currently ~9100)

NFCU Personal Loan: 5800 (aged 4months, 14.9% - 60month, balance currently ~4700)

NFCU nRewards: 10k limit (aged 2.5yrs,14.9%, balance currently ~3300)

USAA Plat MC: 2k limit, aged 1.5yrs, 16.9%, balance currently ~1100)

HSBC Yamaha (FZ6 Smiley Wink): 15k limit, aged 2yrs, 9.99%, balance currently ~4900)

NationWide CC: 1k limit, aged 6months, 16.9% (0% interest on all vehicle related repairs!!!), balance currently ~300

And the starter card that started it all: Orchard Bank Secured MC: $200 limit, aged 3yrs, $35 annual fee, $0 balance

No baddies, No lates.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RammaCredit
New Contributor

Re: NFCU has a customer for life....

Congrats---youre in the five figures!

What email address did you send it to and how did you get membership with I am assuming this is Navy Fed? My mother was in the Airforce but she passed. Do you know of another way to join..

Starting Score: TU:636 EQ:592
Current Score: TU:709 EQ:637 EX:706 (PSECU)
Goal Score: TU:790EQ:760 EX: 774

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
armyguy90
Contributor

CONGRATS!! That is Awesome! Im going to bookmark this thread in case I ever get denied something from them LOL NFCU is Great!

Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@RammaCredit wrote:

What email address did you send it to and how did you get membership with I am assuming this is Navy Fed? My mother was in the Airforce but she passed. Do you know of another way to join..

We don't post e-mail addresses or names on the forums.

But you can always ask for someone to pm the info to you. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RammaCredit wrote:

I'm a Marine so joining was as easy as walking in the door.

Once you're a member, there will be a "Message" tab on your account page; It works as a sort of internal email service (it's not sent to any direct person but rather a CSR group list and is answered in the order it is received.)

I think you should be eligible.....just give them a call 24/7 and they will be more than happy to help.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I always hear great things about NFCU!

Message 6 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a Marine so joining was as easy as walking in the door.

Once you're a member, there will be a "Message" tab on your account page; It works as a sort of internal email service (it's not sent to any direct person but rather a CSR group list and is answered in the order it is received.)

I think you should be eligible.....just give them a call 24/7 and they will be more than happy to help.

Semper Fi

Message 7 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats!  looks like you could get some downward momentum on the car loan as well going forward.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 11
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Congrats and good luck paying down this balance at a better rate!!!

Message 9 of 11
chrisjitsu
Established Member

Congrats!

I actually just went through the same thing. I have a NFCU Platinum Visa that had a 2.5k limit. I requested for CLI to 10k after 9 months of having the card, but got denied. I waited for the denial letter in the mail and when I read it, their reasons for denial didn't seem that negative. Basically they thought I had substantial obligations on my NFCU Products (Visa, MC, & LOC) and they thought my income didn't justify the increase. I faxed them a recon, stating that their reasoning didn't prove that I wasn't worthy of an increase and questioned how much more did I have to actually make? A couple days later I checked my account and my limit had been increased to 10K!

NFCU is the best! I've been a member since 95 and only recently started taking advantage of their products.

Starting Score: EQ: 659 (1/21/11 via myFico SW), TU: 689 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 635 FAKO
Current Score: EQ: 755 (1/25/11 via myFico SW), TU: 762 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 754
Goal Score: 760+ on all scores

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.