Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU multiple Platinum cards?

tag
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

NFCU multiple Platinum cards?

I currently have the NFCU Platinum Visa and considering applying for their CashRewards card, the reason is solely for a good balance transfer card, with hopefully another initial high CL, which looks to currently be the best option not including the Platinum card. 

right now I have a $28k CL on my platinum. Since this is for a balance transfer, it begs the question, can you get multiple Platinum cards?? I thought I saw on here where someone had a visa and MasterCard platinum, but could've been mistaken.

thanks for any info you all may have!! 

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU multiple Platinum cards?

Yes.  You can have more than one.    I have two (both visas)  --   When you app, I think you have an option to select a visa or MC but I don't really remember, tbh.   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@FirstAscent wrote:

I currently have the NFCU Platinum Visa and considering applying for their CashRewards card, the reason is solely for a good balance transfer card, with hopefully another initial high CL, which looks to currently be the best option not including the Platinum card. 
apply

right now I have a $28k CL on my platinum. Since this is for a balance transfer, it begs the question, can you get multiple Platinum cards?? I thought I saw on here where someone had a visa and MasterCard platinum, but could've been mistaken.

thanks for any info you all may have!! 

@FirstAscent  Yes, IIRC, one can apply for and obtain another Platinum NFCU card.

Cash Rewards does offer 1.99% APR BT promo. Something to consider once your BT is done with and if you want 1.5% cash back after the completion of the BT.

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/cash-rewards.html

Message 3 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Yes.  You can have more than one.    I have two (both visas)  --   When you app, I think you have an option to select a visa or MC but I don't really remember, tbh.   

Image result for typing fast smoking keyboard gif

Message 4 of 13
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys!

do you happen to know if they weigh that any differently than applying for a different card offering?

and yes the 1.5% cash back is something to consider, but I also know the platinum has a potentially lower APR. pros and cons

@thornback did you get decent credit limits on both platinums? Or is one much higher? Of course I understand everyone's situation is different. 

Message 5 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

@FirstAscent wrote:

Thanks guys!

do you happen to know if they weigh that any differently than applying for a different card offering?

and yes the 1.5% cash back is something to consider, but I also know the platinum has a potentially lower APR. pros and cons

@thornback did you get decent credit limits on both platinums? Or is one much higher? Of course I understand everyone's situation is different. 

Underwriting is the same for all cards except the Flagship because the minimum SL is 5k. 

Plat #1 had an SL of $4.9K

CLI at 91 days to $12.9K,  6 months later to $18K, and to $20K just 60 days ago (I only asked for a 2k increase). 

Plat #2 SL $22.2K,  asked for the 1st CLI 60 days ago to $24K when the card was 9 mo. old (again, only asked for $1.8K)

So yes, 2nd card had a way higher SL. But both of mine were approved with the lowest apr (5.99%)

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

Image result for typing fast smoking keyboard gif

Slow-rolling on mobile again... 😆 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 13
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@FirstAscent wrote:

Thanks guys!

Underwriting is the same for all cards except the Flagship because the minimum SL is 5k. 

CLI at 91 days to $12.9K,  6 months later to $18K, and to $20K just 60 days ago (I only asked for a 2k increase). 

Plat #2 SL $22.2K,  asked for the 1st CLI 60 days ago to $24K when the card was 9 mo. old (again, only asked for $1.8K)

So yes, 2nd card had a way higher SL. But both of mine were approved with the lowest apr (5.99%)

Awesome thanks for the timeline. Now I feel better about apping for either another Platinum or the CashRewards. Made some big payments a couple days ago so will see the score impact beginning of next month then probably pull the trigger.

as always appreciate everyone's help, I love this forum! 

Message 8 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

@FirstAscent wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@FirstAscent wrote:

Thanks guys!

Awesome thanks for the timeline. Now I feel better about apping for either another Platinum or the CashRewards. Made some big payments a couple days ago so will see the score impact beginning of next month then probably pull the trigger.

as always appreciate everyone's help, I love this forum! 

YW and good luck! Keep us posted-- 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For real? That's something new to me. I think I am still getting offer from them but Id didn't pay attention to it.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.