Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards Product Change?

tag
brandon1767
Established Member

NFCU nRewards Product Change?

Hey everyone,

As of yesterday my NFCU nRewards graduated to a $2000 limit. I spoke with an NFCU rep and they stated after the process is completed (should be done by Tuesday), I can request a product change. I already have a cashRewards with a $11,400 limit that I apped for a few weeks ago. 

Just curious what would be a good option? I'm guessing my limit won't be increased any more since I am a student with a part-time income. I have heard the NFCU Amex can not be a product change, and I am not interested in the flagship, so maybe the Go Rewards is my best option?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Brandon

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Started August 2018 (No Credit History)
FICO 8 (11/01/2021): EX 791, TU 800 | FICO 9 (11/01/2021): EQ 821
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU nRewards Product Change?

You can PC to a More Rewards if you choose but if you would do better with just a large cashRewards, send a secure message to the credit limit increase/decrease department and ask them to move your nRewards limit to your cashRewards and close the card. 

I wouldn’t call them for this, they will tell you over the phone they can’t do that but if you secure message the credit limit increase/decrease department, they’ll do it. I moved $5000 from my cashRewards to my Platinum and had them PC my cashRewards to More Rewards at the same time in January. 

Also if you decide to PC your card, beware that they may hike the interest. My cashRewards went from 11.9% to 17.24% when I PC’d it to More Rewards. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

I currently have a Nrewards secured card. I just made three months with the card and I hope around month five or six, my card graduates to an unsecured one. How long did it take for your Nrewards to graduate to unsecured? 

Message 3 of 6
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can PC to a More Rewards if you choose but if you would do better with just a large cashRewards, send a secure message to the credit limit increase/decrease department and ask them to move your nRewards limit to your cashRewards and close the card. 

I wouldn’t call them for this, they will tell you over the phone they can’t do that but if you secure message the credit limit increase/decrease department, they’ll do it. I moved $5000 from my cashRewards to my Platinum and had them PC my cashRewards to More Rewards at the same time in January. 

Also if you decide to PC your card, beware that they may hike the interest. My cashRewards went from 11.9% to 17.24% when I PC’d it to More Rewards. 

How does one direct their secure message to the "increase/decrease department"?  The secure message feature on the NFCU website only has a single messaging address.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 6
brandon1767
Established Member

Saw my limit increase this weekend on the card, my 5th statement cut on Friday. I called customer service and they said it was in the process of unsecuring and that it should be finalized tonight. So I would expect something similar after your 5th statement assuming NFCU deems it appropriate. 

EDIT: After reading other posts this is inline with what others have experienced as well.

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Message 5 of 6
brandon1767
Established Member

Just spoke with NFCU today and changed the nRewards to the GoRewards master. The rep also submitted a request to move $4000 of my limit on the CashRewards to the GoRewards so I can get the world master. I think this will look better on my report since I will have two cards with over a 5k limit.

Appreciate the input!

Thanks,

Brandon

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.