Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards post-BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU nRewards post-BK

Hi, all!  I'm a long-time lurker and a new Navy Federal member as of last week.

For a while I've read about building relationships with NFCU, but I wanted to see if I could get some DPs from some of you about what the looks like. It's been ~9 months since I had a BK discharged, and I want to pursue a nRewards Secured CC. I'm taking my time rebuilding and just received a Cap1 Quicksilver WEMC w/ a $5K SL today. I was suprised by the limit, but I'll be PIF each month. I've learned my lesson. Just for information's sake, Discover wants nothing to do me, likely due to my student loans despite them being in good standing.

I'm gardening at least while six statements report but wondering if anyone has any information as to whether that might be long enough for me to earn the nRewards. The prequal tool says I'm eligible now, but I'm aware that it's not to be trusted. I'd appreciate any insights.

10 REPLIES 10
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU nRewards post-BK

I was approved for the nRewards cards 7 weeks post BK7 discharge. Unless you burned NFCU your chances of approval is 99%. Also noteworthy, my card still remains secured even 1 year later of having it with no CLI. Btw my deposit was $5k. All other new NFCU credit card application have been denied citing maximum credit limit reached.

Message 2 of 11
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I was approved for the nRewards about 2 weeks after I was discharged from chapter 7 (about 2-3 weeks ago).

Id say go for it now and get the ball rolling. The worst that could happen is a denial.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Message 3 of 11
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Cap One!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 4 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For a while I've read about building relationships with NFCU, but I wanted to see if I could get some DPs from some of you about what the looks like. It's been ~9 months since I had a BK discharged, and I want to pursue a nRewards Secured CC. I'm taking my time rebuilding and just received a Cap1 Quicksilver WEMC w/ a $5K SL today. I was suprised by the limit, but I'll be PIF each month. I've learned my lesson. Just for information's sake, Discover wants nothing to do me, likely due to my student loans despite them being in good standing.

I'm gardening at least while six statements report but wondering if anyone has any information as to whether that might be long enough for me to earn the nRewards. The prequal tool says I'm eligible now, but I'm aware that it's not to be trusted. I'd appreciate any insights.

congrats on that cap 1, especially that generous sl. cap 1 is known to be on the lean side with sl's and cli's so 5k is gigantic.

would you be willing to share a tidbit?

was cap 1 included in your bk?

I am waiting til january to apply to nfcu for a cc because my bk7 was discharged in 12/2019 and i want to apply at least 2 years post bk to have a shot at unsecured, otherwise i will take the nrewards. right now im just gardening til then.

I joined nfcu back in may with a checking/savings

PS- from reading many posts on cap 1 i understand the best method for rising with cap 1 is to charge 30-40 percent of your limit per month and pif. thats what i have been doing for 4 months but my sl is a tiny 300 because i burned cap 1 for 4k-5k in my bk7. I hope the strategy works because i've also read that their cli's are somewhat of a mystery.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pip3man wrote:

I was approved for the nRewards cards 7 weeks post BK7 discharge. Unless you burned NFCU your chances of approval is 99%. Also noteworthy, my card still remains secured even 1 year later of having it with no CLI. Btw my deposit was $5k. All other new NFCU credit card application have been denied citing maximum credit limit reached.

Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely keep the mysterious failure to grow in mind. Just out of curiosity, is NFCU your primary bank?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Total80sKid wrote:

I was approved for the nRewards about 2 weeks after I was discharged from chapter 7 (about 2-3 weeks ago).

Id say go for it now and get the ball rolling. The worst that could happen is a denial.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

I appreciate your message. I think I'll still give it a few months for my own comfort, but I'm more confident about it now!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats on that cap 1, especially that generous sl. cap 1 is known to be on the lean side with sl's and cli's so 5k is gigantic.

would you be willing to share a tidbit?

was cap 1 included in your bk?

I am waiting til january to apply to nfcu for a cc because my bk7 was discharged in 12/2019 and i want to apply at least 2 years post bk to have a shot at unsecured, otherwise i will take the nrewards. right now im just gardening til then.

I joined nfcu back in may with a checking/savings

PS- from reading many posts on cap 1 i understand the best method for rising with cap 1 is to charge 30-40 percent of your limit per month and pif. thats what i have been doing for 4 months but my sl is a tiny 300 because i burned cap 1 for 4k-5k in my bk7. I hope the strategy works because i've also read that their cli's are somewhat of a mystery.

I burned Cap1 for 11K in BK, but my account was charged off at least 3 years prior to me applying for the Quicksilver. The obscure score Cap1 uses seemed to work in my favor this time around.

I don't even have $1K in expenses per month, so I'm gonna go with lots of small transactions and hope that satisfies them. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck getting your NFCU CC!

Message 8 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely keep the mysterious failure to grow in mind. Just out of curiosity, is NFCU your primary bank?

I assume you are asking me. No nfcu is not my primary bank due to location. i am in nj and the only branch in the whole state is on a military base and its a fairly restricted base where you have to be active military to get in, a vic wont get you in.

i have a local bank as my primary because occasionally i need a brick n mortar and dont want to drive all the way to virginia for that.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

I assume you are asking me. No nfcu is not my primary bank due to location. i am in nj and the only branch in the whole state is on a military base and its a fairly restricted base where you have to be active military to get in, a vic wont get you in.

i have a local bank as my primary because occasionally i need a brick n mortar and dont want to drive all the way to virginia for that.

That was for pip3man -- thought the quote made it clear. I was wondering because he mentioned that his secured card hadn't graduated or had a CLI in a year. Sorry for the confusion. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.