Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards question

tag
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

NFCU nRewards question

A little background.....I have a NFCU CLOC for $15K and HAD a Visa Sig CR. Went through a hard time around Covid which was also the time NF would have renewed my card.  Missed a payment but that's the only one and it's caught up. NFCU closed the Visa but kept the CLOC open.  I owe about $9K on a card that's closed so I'm trying to get it paid off as soon as possible.  Other than that, no issues with NFCU.  I had the NF Amex card a few years back but closed it since I could never get a major CLI.  Decided to app for another card to offset the Util and got the nRewards card for $200 deposit.  Was surprised since the other card is closed and I'm paying it off. TU is around 660. 

Question: What will happen with the nRewards secured card?  Will it graduate while I''m still paying off the other card?

Also would you BT to get a balance removed from a card with a 0 CL or just leave it alone and keep paying it off?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU nRewards question

Didn't know NF would close a CC over one missed payment. I can't see them unsecuring the nRewards while you still owe them on the other account. Secondly, why not just throw that secured card money at your old balance instead? Same effect on the utilization by reducing that balance.

Message 2 of 6
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Yep....at the time score was lower and util was higher.  Just trying to stay in with NFCU if I can. Only have $200 on secured card,

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows. I've had a NFCU secured visa for a year and it still hasn't upgraded yet. I applied for a regular visa with them last month and was approved instantly. 

Message 4 of 6
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@ccpat 

not sure about your graduation but congrats on getting back in with them and starting a clean tradeline 

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ccpat wrote:

A little background.....I have a NFCU CLOC for $15K and HAD a Visa Sig CR. Went through a hard time around Covid which was also the time NF would have renewed my card.  Missed a payment but that's the only one and it's caught up. NFCU closed the Visa but kept the CLOC open.  I owe about $9K on a card that's closed so I'm trying to get it paid off as soon as possible.  Other than that, no issues with NFCU.  I had the NF Amex card a few years back but closed it since I could never get a major CLI.  Decided to app for another card to offset the Util and got the nRewards card for $200 deposit.  Was surprised since the other card is closed and I'm paying it off. TU is around 660. 

Question: What will happen with the nRewards secured card?  Will it graduate while I''m still paying off the other card?

Also would you BT to get a balance removed from a card with a 0 CL or just leave it alone and keep paying it off?

It's hard to say how NFCU would evaluate the overall relationship and past history to unsecure the card, but if there is no time constraint for you, then just see how things pan out in the next 7-12 months to see if it unsecures.

As far as the current balance on the closed account, how is it reporting on the CRAs? Does it reflect as maxed out or utilization at 100%? Also, just curious, how long was the payment missed...30, 60 days?  It's definitely one of a few AA outcomes I've come across regarding NFCU.  At least they approved the nRewards CC and the CLOC is still open.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.