Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU new member

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU new member

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI.....if you get approved for the Plat card the UW is the same for all cards except maybe for the Flagship which is a bit different.   So if you get approved for Plat but then decide on CashRewards. Amex, etc you can always product change with NFCU no repull of credit same credit limit just APR might be different.  They are real easy and real cool with doing product change I did it.....My mother did it.  Flagship card is the top tier card for them so I would shoot for the other cards GoRewards, Cashrewards, AMEX or Plat depending on what exactly you are wanting.....% of grocery, gas.....travel points, low APR (Plat card), etc.   Get the card that will work best for what you are trying to accomplish.  NFCU allows you to have up to 3 cards.

@AllZero wrote:

@WannabDebtFree1 wrote:

Hey guys, appreciate all the great feedback. Just wanted to let you know I just became a member of NFCU. Some DP will be below. Just started new checking account but question is when should I app and for what CC? A goal card will be the Flagship. Thank you for your reply in advance as I wanna be debt free (in other words use credit smartly, and have credit work for me, rather than me work for them lol)

EXP 712 updated today

TU 689 update in 4 days

EQ 665 update in 4 days

38% Util

Congratulations on your membership! You should apply when you need credit. Do you need credit?

1st card is anything but the Flagship. Flagship should be your 2nd card. It has a $5,000 minimum starting limit.

The only thing to keep in mind with this is that if you PC to another card, you don't get the intro offer for that card. 

Message 21 of 32
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Congratulation's and welcome to the NFCU family. First I'm not 100% familiar with your profile. And not sure where your getting your FICO scores from. But my profile was pretty decent when I applied for my first CC but only received a 1k starting limit which I was ok with by reading data points online here. 

So to be honest you may want to start out with a card that you want to build up. And if by what your needing is a BT card you may want to wait for the 91/3 to come and app for the platinum card. 

As you can see by my signature you will see how well they have treated me since applying for memebership in September 2019. I have 60k in TCL with NFCU in just over 6 months. But I have moved all my monthly spend onto NFCU and plan on keeping it that way for the future. 

Good luck with your journey and treat them well cause they will certainly treat you accordingly. 👍

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can get approved for 1 card you can get any of the cards except Flagship which is UW differently.   I don't think they have a certain score.  I've seen scores as low as 630 get approved.   I got my first one score was probably 640ish and they gave me $24K.   My opinion I think income plays a major part of how much you get with these guys including DTI.   My mother who scores are higher than mine but income is only around $40K a year got $11K on her card.  My income is $100K and I got $24K.   My mother scores were in the low 700's.   So if you have anything about a 630 I'd say go for it. 

@WannabDebtFree1 wrote:

Does anyone know what scores NFCU is looking for approval. Such as cash rewards 700 or what are some good DPs possibly needed to get approved. Just thinking before app?

Side note when I got my first card my Chpt 13BK was about 4 yrs old

Message 23 of 32
WannabDebtFree1
Established Member

Well after all the great advice given today I'm happy to say I applied for the NFCU Plat for low interest and BT. Albeit the SL was only $1000. Yeah I know it's low but I can't complain because I'm in the system now and hopefully in the 91/3 I plan to CLI or app for another card and hopefully better SL. Maybe should've applied for another card but I figured I'd get a low rate which was accomplished so I can establish good relationship with NFCU. Thank you for all advice and hey it's an approval!!

As an FYI I called customer service and the man that helped me was very nice and helpful. He said he couldn't increase but when I get the card I'm eligible for CLI at day 90 which is consistent with advice so if anyone is thinking about it applying, go for it. 

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WannabDebtFree1 wrote:

Well after all the great advice given today I'm happy to say I applied for the NFCU Plat for low interest and BT. Albeit the SL was only $1000. Yeah I know it's low but I can't complain because I'm in the system now and hopefully in the 91/3 I plan to CLI or app for another card and hopefully better SL. Maybe should've applied for another card but I figured I'd get a low rate which was accomplished so I can establish good relationship with NFCU. Thank you for all advice and hey it's an approval!!

As an FYI I called customer service and the man that helped me was very nice and helpful. He said he couldn't increase but when I get the card I'm eligible for CLI at day 90 which is consistent with advice so if anyone is thinking about it applying, go for it. 

Congrats!

You should send a secure message to ask for them to reconsider your limit and make your case for the BT. It doesn't always work but you don't lose anything for trying. 

Message 25 of 32
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@WannabDebtFree1 wrote:

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread but I'm a new Navy member. I am hoping to refinance my car with them in the next month and move my banking over. Im naturally interested in their credit offers...

But I like a SUB so naturally I'm interested in the Flagship and I think it would slot in nicely with my cards. (2x multiplier, lower rates than current card, TSA) Is there anything special with the UW for it?

Message 27 of 32
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question:

Does NFCU combine online banking with their CCs?

i.e. is it one log on to access both savings and CC? I am guessing
yes, but the site doesn't seem to indicate this.

Potential Future Cards
Message 28 of 32
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question:

Does NFCU combine online banking with their CCs?

i.e. is it one log on to access both savings and CC? I am guessing
yes, but the site doesn't seem to indicate this.

Yes. It will show all accounts in your online portal.

Message 29 of 32
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

>>You should send a secure message to ask for them to reconsider your limit and make your case for the BT. It doesn't always work but you don't lose anything for trying. 

Just did this now on your suggestion - let's see how I make out  Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.