Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU putting me under the microscope

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU putting me under the microscope

Wow, I don't want anything to do with anyone that scrutinizes me that much!
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

smallfry,

I am suggesting calling EQ.  An inquiry is not an AA on the part of NFCU, merely EQ noting it as a matter of record.  It is within the discretion of EQ to delete an inquiry from a CCC if they determine it to be duplicative.  I highly doubt that they need NFCU's consent.  In fact, NFCU would probably never know.

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

TXJ,

Just so you know-- Every single time you app for a NFCU (credit related) product, they do a hard pull. Even if they just did a hard pull the day before. I got three hards from NFCU over a five day period for checking & Savings, 12k Visa, 12k MC, and one auto loan. The first INQ was standard to open the account. The second was when, based upon my previous credit pull 2 or 3 days before, they offered me a 12K MC. Later that day, I decided I wanted a Visa instead, and got that in addition to the MC with no additional pull. During that same call, they offered me a great rate on a new car (whereas I'd just purchased one 2 wks before). I told them that I'd be happy to refi with them. They hit me with another hard and sent the paperwork.

One thing that I noticed is that after a couple of months, EQ started counting two of those INQs as one-- perhaps due to my car apping.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

TXJ,

Just so you know-- Every single time you app for a NFCU (credit related) product, they do a hard pull. Even if they just did a hard pull the day before. I got three hards from NFCU over a five day period for checking & Savings, 12k Visa, 12k MC, and one auto loan. The first INQ was standard to open the account. The second was when, based upon my previous credit pull 2 or 3 days before, they offered me a 12K MC. Later that day, I decided I wanted a Visa instead, and got that in addition to the MC with no additional pull. During that same call, they offered me a great rate on a new car (whereas I'd just purchased one 2 wks before). I told them that I'd be happy to refi with them. They hit me with another hard and sent the paperwork.

One thing that I noticed is that after a couple of months, EQ started counting two of those INQs as one-- perhaps due to my car apping.

5/1/09 App Visa - Hard Pull

5/7/09 App Nav  - Hard Pull

5/8/09               - Hard Pull

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

OH!

Hmmm... That is excessive. They really have solid customer service, so when you get approved, give them a call and ask them to recode it as a soft. If the credit department is unwilling to do so, they do have another level of customer service that deals with problems and customer advocacy-- can't remember what the department is called, though. Still, they're pretty easy to reach.

My guess is, they'll willingly recode it to a soft without any hassle.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out the NavCheck was "Approved" on Monday 5/11/09, but the loan officer failed to update the status for online status review.  But the promissory note was mailed out all ready for me to sign and said to be linked to checking once they get it back from me.

So, the turn time wasn't too long after all.  App'ed Thursday, they called employment Friday, approved Monday.

But I do want to see if they will recode the redundant hard pull since it cost me 5 points.

Message 16 of 30
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

I am considering the NFCU---do they only pull EQ?

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

txjohn,

Congrats.  I'd still call EQ about removing multiple inquiries from same CCC.  Experian did it for me in less than 5 minutes.

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

fico has a depulication feature in the algrorythm. multiple inqs from thecsame creditor on the same report are recorded but do not deduct additional points. disputing any legit inqs with the eq ex or tu can reult in fraud alerts etc. even if that's notyour intent.

it's common practice and legal for nfcu to pull a hard anytime you ask for a credit product, even if you request mutiple products on the same day.
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
fico has a depulication feature in the algrorythm. multiple inqs from thecsame creditor on the same report are recorded but do not deduct additional points. disputing any legit inqs with the eq ex or tu can reult in fraud alerts etc. even if that's notyour intent.

it's common practice and legal for nfcu to pull a hard anytime you ask for a credit product, even if you request mutiple products on the same day.

Deduping does not apply to credit cards, LOC/personal loans.....it only applies to auto loans and mortgages.  And the inquiry must be coded to specify otherwise even multiple autos can hurt.

Running MyFICO clearly shows that all 3 NFCU inquiries are affecting my score.  My score dropped 5 points upon the 3rd pull.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.