Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU putting me under the microscope

tag
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU putting me under the microscope

Yes. EQ always and only.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 21 of 30
myfairlady
Valued Member

I applied to NFCU on 4/29 for the navcheck.  They verified date of hire, pay amount and position.  On 5/4 the loan was approved.  I took the promissory note into the branch office on 5/11 to date I was told the bank clerk mailed it instead of faxing it to home office and they have not received my signature yet.  Once they receive my signature it will be tied to my checking account within 48 hours.  They also did 2 hards pulls, one on 4/29 and another on 4/30.  I also have EQ scorewatch but my score did not go down due to either of the pulls.  I only have 3 inquiries on my credit report right now.  They are a good cu but slow to matters of credit.

EQ:  642

TU:   661

EX:   636

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the NavCheck agreement in the mail today....signed....back into the mail.

I have zero complaints.  They are by far my favorite financial institution right now Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-15-2009 03:55 PM
Message 23 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
fico has a depulication feature in the algrorythm. multiple inqs from thecsame creditor on the same report are recorded but do not deduct additional points. disputing any legit inqs with the eq ex or tu can reult in fraud alerts etc. even if that's notyour intent.

it's common practice and legal for nfcu to pull a hard anytime you ask for a credit product, even if you request mutiple products on the same day.

Deduping does not apply to credit cards, LOC/personal loans.....it only applies to auto loans and mortgages.  And the inquiry must be coded to specify otherwise even multiple autos can hurt.

Running MyFICO clearly shows that all 3 NFCU inquiries are affecting my score.  My score dropped 5 points upon the 3rd pull.

It appears that de-duping might in fact occur on CC's with the same app date. This has been confirmed by a number of posts, but it certainly doesn't always hold true.

At any rate, it's much narrower than mortgage and auto loan de-duping --it has to be the same lender and the same date. Unless, of course, you get lucky.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
fico has a depulication feature in the algrorythm. multiple inqs from thecsame creditor on the same report are recorded but do not deduct additional points. disputing any legit inqs with the eq ex or tu can reult in fraud alerts etc. even if that's notyour intent.

it's common practice and legal for nfcu to pull a hard anytime you ask for a credit product, even if you request mutiple products on the same day.

Deduping does not apply to credit cards, LOC/personal loans.....it only applies to auto loans and mortgages.  And the inquiry must be coded to specify otherwise even multiple autos can hurt.

Running MyFICO clearly shows that all 3 NFCU inquiries are affecting my score.  My score dropped 5 points upon the 3rd pull.

It appears that de-duping might in fact occur on CC's with the same app date. This has been confirmed by a number of posts, but it certainly doesn't always hold true.

At any rate, it's much narrower than mortgage and auto loan de-duping --it has to be the same lender and the same date. Unless, of course, you get lucky.

Based upon what I was told by EQ CSR when I was disputing elements on my CR, she said it is very unlikely that deduping would apply to most CC or other revolving loans because:

1.  It is very common to apply for multiple revolving accounts on the same day or within very short periods of time.  But it is very uncommon to be applying for multiple separate auto or mortgage loans.

2.  It is assumed that most auto or mortgage applications will apply to the same "purchase" whereas multiple inquiries and applications, even at the same lender, for personal and revolving credit is often for multiple accounts and not the same account.

3.  Deduping applies mostly to "secured installement loans" because it is a fixed debt and terms, whereas revolving has will have fluctuating balances, rates and thus terms.

4.  Consumers do not generally "shop" revolving accounts, meaning apply multiple times and then only accept or open a single account, like an auto or mortgage loan.  Consumers are aware of the product/loan type when they apply and usually have an idea of the potential terms.  Mortgages and autos are shopped for the best deal and a single lender is selected, thus the "multiple inquiries" result in a single account.  Multiple revolving apps usually result in multiple requests for credit and often multiple accounts/loans.

I cannot say that deduping "never" applies to cc/revolving or other "personal credit" loans, but I am fairly confident that it is less predominant, if it applies at all.

Message 25 of 30
smallfry
Senior Contributor

John I would call NFCU and escalate to a credit analyst. See if they will drop some of the inquiries.
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
John I would call NFCU and escalate to a credit analyst. See if they will drop some of the inquiries.

Once the NavCheck shows up online and all is active and correct, I will then discuss the matter with NFCU about coding soft.  But, I'm not app'ing anything else, so it is a moot point at the moment and I don't want to rock any boats till I receive my card, it's activated, has a tank of gas on it and the NavCheck shows online  and is accessible.  Then I'll work on getting 2 NFCU's recoded soft and try for 1 PenFed to soft as well. Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Based upon what I was told by EQ CSR when I was disputing elements on my CR, she said it is very unlikely that deduping would apply to most CC or other revolving loans because:

1.  It is very common to apply for multiple revolving accounts on the same day or within very short periods of time.  But it is very uncommon to be applying for multiple separate auto or mortgage loans.

2.  It is assumed that most auto or mortgage applications will apply to the same "purchase" whereas multiple inquiries and applications, even at the same lender, for personal and revolving credit is often for multiple accounts and not the same account.

3.  Deduping applies mostly to "secured installement loans" because it is a fixed debt and terms, whereas revolving has will have fluctuating balances, rates and thus terms.

4.  Consumers do not generally "shop" revolving accounts, meaning apply multiple times and then only accept or open a single account, like an auto or mortgage loan.  Consumers are aware of the product/loan type when they apply and usually have an idea of the potential terms.  Mortgages and autos are shopped for the best deal and a single lender is selected, thus the "multiple inquiries" result in a single account.  Multiple revolving apps usually result in multiple requests for credit and often multiple accounts/loans.

I cannot say that deduping "never" applies to cc/revolving or other "personal credit" loans, but I am fairly confident that it is less predominant, if it applies at all.

Well, I do understand this, but there are things that are published, and things that actually happen. I'm just passing on what I've been told. Smiley Happy

I would never count on de-duping happening with CC's, but on the other hand, if it seems to occur, I sure wouldn't question it. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Well, I do understand this, but there are things that are published, and things that actually happen. I'm just passing on what I've been told. Smiley Happy

I would never count on de-duping happening with CC's, but on the other hand, if it seems to occur, I sure wouldn't question it. Smiley Happy

You and me both Smiley Happy   I cannot confirm nor deny that any of this is what happens.  I can only relay, as you, what I have been told, and relay my own experience (report says all 6 are affecting my score) and the 5 point score drop upon the third pull by NFCU.

As to what and how these things actually ocur, well that's like finding out "how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...the world may never know"  Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 30
mt2va
Established Contributor

NFCU definately rocks & their customer service (which is 24/7) is fabulous & they told me it is better to call but I prefer to handle things online. 

They did a soft on me when I applied for membership with them.  A hard for CC & I was told a hard for each inquiry.  (which I think sucks as I was trying to re-fi my car loan & can't understand why that department can't look at the same exact CR the CC department had already pulled)  I somehow just applied for a 2nd CC (long story) so I'm in for another hard but I doubt I will be approved.

Heck I'm still in shock over my approval for the CashRewards card but I definately won't forget they treated me well when no one else (not even the sub-prime CCC) would give me a break & I definately won't screw it up.   I used my dad to join (he wasn't even a member...I had to get him to join so I could) & I will NEVER do anything to make him look bad. 

ETA I will say that they took forever on my CC app because apparently they had been calling me at home to confirm the info on the app (but never left a message & so I had no idea anyone was calling me).  They just happened to call on a Saturday & my CC was approved that Monday.  I thought it was a bit odd they were confirming the exact same info I had put on the app.  And when I app for the 2nd CC they asked me all the info again.  I'm like I was just approved last week.  So apparently everything to them is "new" each time as for as you giving your info & them pulling CR etc 

Message Edited by mt2va on 05-15-2009 06:32 PM
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.