Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU questions..

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

NFCU questions..

I will be sending my application today. Just curious if they are post Bankruptcy friendly...(July 2016) and if so what scores will be need to get a CC

Thanks

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU questions..

@Cheryla18 wrote:

I will be sending my application today. Just curious if they are post Bankruptcy friendly...(July 2016) and if so what scores will be need to get a CC

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl!

As it turns out, I found that my experience with NFCU was (somewhat) unusual - I applied 3 months post-discharge and got a $500 SL (on recon, with scores in the 660 range).

It turns out that while they are BK-friendly, that friendliness typically starts 1yr post-DC with 2-3+ active trade lines regardless of score.  So while yoiu've made a good investment in your financial future by getting your membership going, I'd recommend making them a later step on your journey CC-wise.  For earlier steps, check out the thread that made me a believer in myFICO in the first place.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

Plenty of people have been approved fresh out of BK. Some have had to recon and others have had to go the secured route. I personally had a secured nRewards card and 4 months after having it applied for a cashRewards card and was approved. NFCU is simply amazing

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update? Wondering if your membership was approved yet. I emailed my NFCU App and SD Navy League Membership Emails and was hoping they approve membership on the weekends but I am guessing not.
Message 4 of 9
kugel
Valued Contributor

my wife to become a member at nfcu with san diego her bk discharged 7 months ago her fico tu is 721 with 4 cards in the last 7 months each is around $5000 cl zero utilization
she applied for the cc 3 days ago and it was declined and they pulled 3 pulls on tu that's insane Plus one on equifax for the cloc that also got declined
She sent a secure message for a reconsideration
This is the reply she got

Thank you for your message. We have conducted a second review of your application. However, after careful consideration, we have determined that we must stand behind our original decision. Your application was declined due to your recently discharged bankruptcy. We are unable to extend any unsecured credit at this time. Although we cannot currently establish an unsecured credit card in your name, you may be eligible to participate in our nRewards Secured credit card program. Under this program, you may be issued a credit card that is secured by funds in your savings account. These funds will continue to earn dividends while on hold. The minimum credit limit for our nRewards Secured card is $500.00. Please note that the $5.00 hold that applies to your Membership Savings Account cannot be applied to your secured credit card hold. If you are interested in obtaining a secured credit card or would like additional information, please contact us at 1-888-842-6328. We ask that you please do not reply to this application message. If you have further inquiries, you may send an online message using your Navy Federal Online Account Access service. On the Other Services tab, click on E-Message to Navy Federal under the Contact Us option.
Message 5 of 9
kugel
Valued Contributor

So it's a gamble if u get approved or not 

Message 6 of 9
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@kugel wrote:
my wife to become a member at nfcu with san diego her bk discharged 7 months ago her fico tu is 721 with 4 cards in the last 7 months each is around $5000 cl zero utilization
she applied for the cc 3 days ago and it was declined and they pulled 3 pulls on tu that's insane Plus one on equifax for the cloc that also got declined
She sent a secure message for a reconsideration
This is the reply she got

Thank you for your message. We have conducted a second review of your application. However, after careful consideration, we have determined that we must stand behind our original decision. Your application was declined due to your recently discharged bankruptcy. We are unable to extend any unsecured credit at this time. Although we cannot currently establish an unsecured credit card in your name, you may be eligible to participate in our nRewards Secured credit card program. Under this program, you may be issued a credit card that is secured by funds in your savings account. These funds will continue to earn dividends while on hold. The minimum credit limit for our nRewards Secured card is $500.00. Please note that the $5.00 hold that applies to your Membership Savings Account cannot be applied to your secured credit card hold. If you are interested in obtaining a secured credit card or would like additional information, please contact us at 1-888-842-6328. We ask that you please do not reply to this application message. If you have further inquiries, you may send an online message using your Navy Federal Online Account Access service. On the Other Services tab, click on E-Message to Navy Federal under the Contact Us option.

Wow, Sorry to hear that. But also thank you for sharing

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 7 of 9
precision
Contributor

@kugel wrote:

So it's a gamble if u get approved or not 

isn't it always. lol

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing. I don't have a BK or any negatives on TU but I had read they were BK friendly. Surprising it was denied. Sorry for the denial. That sucks when you want something badly.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.