Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU secured card graduates early!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU secured card graduates early!

First off, my first time posting here! I have been reading this board for about a month now learning all the tips and tricks I can to get my credit going. I never had credit until this year (Age 25). My brother co-signed on a loan with me for a used car in Feb. through USAA and in July I applied for a secured card with NFCU and one of their secured loans.

After 10 months of building credit I now have 5 credit cards, scores ranging from 630-670 for all 3b, and 9.3k CL in total. When my scores first posted I was around a 550 and had 1 collection on my TU report which is now paid. 100% payment history and anywhere from 20-40% UTIL on average throughout this time.

I logged onto NFCU last night to pay my secured bill down before the statement cut, and 2 days before my 5th statement I can see a CL of 2k now! I called to confirm and sure enough, GRAUDTION TIME BABY!!!

So my biggest question is now; I already have the cashRewards card with a 6.1k CL (almost had for 1 month now). Should I combine the CL's (aka tell them to close nRewards and combine because I "only need to use 1 card")? Hit the LUV button on the nRewards? PC to something? Float around some ideas for me guys! If you need more info from me first before offering advice, I will provide if you ask. My goals are either Navy Fed AMEX or a regular blue AMEX, as well as NavCheck (they said to call back after a year of credit history) before I start to garden.

HAPPY HOLIDAYSSSSS!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU secured card graduates early!

Going to move this to the main CC forum for better coverage.
Message 2 of 4
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your graduation! I'm not for sure how NFCU is handling requests to combine CLs but I remember reading a while back that it's a case by case scenario? I could be wrong so hopefully, another member can chime in on this.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I read it’s all about how you word it.

Tried to CLI the nRewards and was denied.

UPDATE: Got another email this morning saying CLI approved to 4.9k. I’ll take it Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.