cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU secured card graduates early!

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

NFCU secured card graduates early!

First off, my first time posting here! I have been reading this board for about a month now learning all the tips and tricks I can to get my credit going. I never had credit until this year (Age 25). My brother co-signed on a loan with me for a used car in Feb. through USAA and in July I applied for a secured card with NFCU and one of their secured loans.

After 10 months of building credit I now have 5 credit cards, scores ranging from 630-670 for all 3b, and 9.3k CL in total. When my scores first posted I was around a 550 and had 1 collection on my TU report which is now paid. 100% payment history and anywhere from 20-40% UTIL on average throughout this time.

I logged onto NFCU last night to pay my secured bill down before the statement cut, and 2 days before my 5th statement I can see a CL of 2k now! I called to confirm and sure enough, GRAUDTION TIME BABY!!!

So my biggest question is now; I already have the cashRewards card with a 6.1k CL (almost had for 1 month now). Should I combine the CL's (aka tell them to close nRewards and combine because I "only need to use 1 card")? Hit the LUV button on the nRewards? PC to something? Float around some ideas for me guys! If you need more info from me first before offering advice, I will provide if you ask. My goals are either Navy Fed AMEX or a regular blue AMEX, as well as NavCheck (they said to call back after a year of credit history) before I start to garden.

HAPPY HOLIDAYSSSSS!!

Starting F8 Scores || - FEB 18 - First Auto Loan | 0 CC | 1 Pending Collection
Current F8 Scores || - JAN 19 - 1 Auto Loan | 5 CC | 0 Collections or Late Payments
Goal Scores || 750+ all 3

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Re: NFCU secured card graduates early!

Going to move this to the main CC forum for better coverage.
"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 2 of 4
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your graduation! I'm not for sure how NFCU is handling requests to combine CLs but I remember reading a while back that it's a case by case scenario? I could be wrong so hopefully, another member can chime in on this.

Starting Scores FICO 8 (Feb '18):
EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545

Current Scores

Message 3 of 4
Established Member

From what I read it’s all about how you word it.

Tried to CLI the nRewards and was denied.

UPDATE: Got another email this morning saying CLI approved to 4.9k. I’ll take it Smiley Wink
Starting F8 Scores || - FEB 18 - First Auto Loan | 0 CC | 1 Pending Collection
Current F8 Scores || - JAN 19 - 1 Auto Loan | 5 CC | 0 Collections or Late Payments
Goal Scores || 750+ all 3

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.