Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU unsecured my card

tag
chasmith
Valued Contributor

NFCU unsecured my card

Opened $3K secured card 12/09 (after BK7 discharge late 11/09).  Got a note in the snail mail today saying they had unsecured, and would raise CL to $1K if it was less.  Not as generous as what I used to hear but helpful all the same.

This may mean that they're near absorbing the merger and back to reviews and auto CLIs...

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU unsecured my card

I would go apply for another credit card with them... I bet you get much higher CL on new account.

Message 2 of 19
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I intend to go after a refi of my Ford Credit Auto Loan and for CLI or another card and Navchek, but I need to clean up utilization a little more and see if I can get to 680, also need to age off a February INQ, I still have too many but the next one to age off will be in May.  I figure I'll do the request in March.

Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Message 3 of 19
dwhanc00
New Contributor

Do you have to be a member?  Also, how do you get around not being in the armed services?

Message 4 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@dwhanc00 wrote:

Do you have to be a member?  Also, how do you get around not being in the armed services?

Don't believe you can get around it anymore... a lot of us joined when USAFed announced they were merging with Navy and you could join an organization to get in with USA.

Message 5 of 19
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I joined through my father (retired Navy).  He opened a savings account and then my entitlement came as his son.  I think folks may be able to join on family affiliation to current or retired military even if the "sponsor" doesn't belonmg but it may take more paperwork. 

Message 6 of 19
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

I don't think that you actually have to be related to anyone in the military at all !   What you DO need is a person who is willing to give you their access number--basically, the NFCU membership number, and you need to state that they are related to you by one of the NFCU criteria, i.e, sibling etc.  Case in point:  I asked my aunt to help me qualify, and she in turn provided me her access number which I shared with the NFCU--I applied in person.  When the representative asked how I was related to the member I said sibling--which was half-way true, since I was raised by my grandmother.   And I was approved at the time of application.

I think at most they may send a query to the member to determine relationship--thus I told my aunt beforehand what my "relationship" would be--but I don't think they bother.  The fact that someone gave you semi-personal info is probably considered close enough.  YMMV--but I don't think so Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ChemGuy wrote:

I don't think that you actually have to be related to anyone in the military at all !   What you DO need is a person who is willing to give you their access number--basically, the NFCU membership number, and you need to state that they are related to you by one of the NFCU criteria, i.e, sibling etc.  Case in point:  I asked my aunt to help me qualify, and she in turn provided me her access number which I shared with the NFCU--I applied in person.  When the representative asked how I was related to the member I said sibling--which was half-way true, since I was raised by my grandmother.   And I was approved at the time of application.

I think at most they may send a query to the member to determine relationship--thus I told my aunt beforehand what my "relationship" would be--but I don't think they bother.  The fact that someone gave you semi-personal info is probably considered close enough.  YMMV--but I don't think so Smiley Wink

Smiley Indifferent

No, it wasn't.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ChemGuy wrote:

So you faced no ethical dilemma in knowingly lying on your membership application?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemGuy wrote:

No, I don't think that's "close enough" at all. NFCU is pretty specific about it's membership criteria. You can find it right here. I'd be willing to bet that NFCU Member Services would in no way approve or knowingly look the other way for anyone who they found to have submitted false information in their membership applications. Especially in light of the thousands of discharged service members who didn't join while active, and are no longer eligible unless they're a DoD annuitant.

It strikes me that if service members & their families who honorably served can accept the rules, then everyone else could too. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.