Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU visa

tag
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

NFCU visa

Does anyone know if Navy gives auto increases or do you have to request it ? I'm just trying to get an idea of how increases come about with Navy. I was thinking that maybe they do increases every 6 months. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haiti222
Contributor

Re: NFCU visa

They seem to occasionally offer increases, but you usually apply of a CLI or a second product (2nd CC or Navchek)

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightOwl wrote:

Does anyone know if Navy gives auto increases or do you have to request it ? I'm just trying to get an idea of how increases come about with Navy. I was thinking that maybe they do increases every 6 months. Smiley Happy

I've never asked for a CLI from NFCU, but for the past two years, on the anniversary date for my two cards, NFCU gives me an auto CLI on each. I do know that they do a hard pull for customer initiated CLI requests, though. I wouldn't expect an (auto) increase prior to your cards birthday.  

Message 3 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

I spoke with a NFCU rep today on this very subject.

He advised that because of some of the language and changes in the credit card laws that are effective as of Oct (regarding proof of income etc),  NFCU will not be doing any more automatic increases.  He emphasized that this is a very new change and that previously NFCU would indeed give automatic increases.

He further added that the most recent automatic increases (prior to the changes in the law)  had been to customers who already had relatively high limits ($5K-15K) but zero to almost zero balances.

Customer requests for CLI will require hard pull and review.  I didn't want a hard pull so I didn't pursue any further.

In the course of the conversation, he advised he'd been with NFCU for 5 years, so I'm assuming he's correct with this info.  However, as other post have indicated, info received can sometimes vary from rep to rep.

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rom828 wrote:

I spoke with a NFCU rep today on this very subject.

He advised that because of some of the language and changes in the credit card laws that are effective as of Oct (regarding proof of income etc),  NFCU will not be doing any more automatic increases.  He emphasized that this is a very new change and that previously NFCU would indeed give automatic increases.

He further added that the most recent automatic increases (prior to the changes in the law)  had been to customers who already had relatively high limits ($5K-15K) but zero to almost zero balances.

Customer requests for CLI will require hard pull and review.  I didn't want a hard pull so I didn't pursue any further.

In the course of the conversation, he advised he'd been with NFCU for 5 years, so I'm assuming he's correct with this info.  However, as other post have indicated, info received can sometimes vary from rep to rep.  

Thats strange... I just recently (very, very recently - as in the last two weeks) had auto CLIs on both my cards.

Message 5 of 10
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

I just had 4 other people inform me that they had auto increases too so, I don't think that particular csr knew what he or she was talking about. Also, it makes no sense for the new card laws to be the determining factor in whether it's a auto increase or a phone initiated or web 1.

Message 6 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

@MidnightOwl wrote:

I just had 4 other people inform me that they had auto increases too so, I don't think that particular csr knew what he or she was talking about. Also, it makes no sense for the new card laws to be the determining factor in whether it's a auto increase or a phone initiated or web 1.

I thought it all sounded strange, too.....and he couldnt ever give me real particulars on  the law actually prohibiting automatic increases...just said it had to do with proof of income etc.  And in light of the auto increases mentioned, I think he might have been a little 'off' on his advices!Smiley Tongue

I think I'll call back and talk to another CSR. 

I'd called to ask about  automatic  increases as both my cards are now 1yr+, but I haven't seen any CLI.   I'd read some other NFCU  posts on this forum  that advised  you could sometimes get an increase..or at least ask if you're eligible for one..... without a hard pull..by just calling and talking to CSR.

Guess it depends on what CSR you get!!Smiley Very Happy

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

They do give automatic increases, I recieved in the mail a letter from NFCU informing me that my line of credit was being increased on either my Master Card or my Visa.  They then stated in the letter if I disagreed to call them.  My balance on both cards are 0, I only use my debit card from NFCU.  So that information from the CSR is incorrect, I have not applied for an increase since I don't use either of the cards. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never received auto CLI from NFCU.  I had to request for it with hard pull.   On my nRewards, start with 3k and requested CLI to 5K and stuck right there.   On my cashRewards, start with 3.5k and stays there.

For those who are getting an auto CLI, what are the CL, statement balance, and usage of the ccs?   It may be something got to do with these.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never received auto CLI from NFCU.  I had to request for it with hard pull.   On my nRewards, start with 3k and requested CLI to 5K and stuck right there.   On my cashRewards, start with 3.5k and stays there.

For those who are getting an auto CLI, what are the CL, statement balance, and usage of the ccs?   It may be something got to do with these.

Both my NFCU Visa & MC (both nRewards) are at 13.5k. I PIF every month, and use them both a lot. I have two recurring monthly bills on the Visa, one recurring monthly bill on the MC, and I use my MC for all medical expenses (instead of my HSA MC through my company) to get the rewards, and easily track the expenses for reimbursement. I use my Visa for every day purchses as well, when it's time to use that one in my card rotation. So, they both get quite a bit of exercise. I don't think that I've ever let a balance report on the Visa-- statement balance is always zero. I occasionally, every 3 or 4 months, allow a small balance to report on the MC (for utilization then I PIF), because of the schedule of recurring bills. The highest balance ever on each card (at any given time) has been $3.5kish.

I've never even come close to using the whole credit line, and thus never asked for a CLI, and I've never paid a dime of interest (but I cash in rewards a couple times per year). But, I read of NFCU giving auto CLIs in cases where people carry balances (relatively high balances) as well, so my one little anecdote shouldn't be taken as the rule of thumb to an NFCU auto CLI. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.