Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU, wow!

tag
hemi961
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU, wow!

Congratulations to your daughter and to you for the excellent training you have given her. I joined NFCU yesterday morning and during the process was asked if I wanted to apply for any credit products. I asked how long it would take to get an answer and she said that since I was a new member it might be 3-5 days. I said I would wait until my online access was set up, partly because my cell phone had already dropped my initial call right in the middle of signing up for the checking and savings accounts. When I got back to the office I got online and applied for the platinum card. I fully expected to have the screen pop up thanking me for applying and informing me that they would be in touch. I was surprised when it said that I was approved for 15,000 @ 7.9 and my card should arrive in 7-10 days. They are great to work with, I'm looking forward to a long relationship with them.
Message 11 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU has a "SWITCH" option.

http://www.navyfederal.org/credit_cards/creditcards.html

Notice that next to all CC's (except the cashrewards) there is an "APPLY" and a "SWITCH" button.  Switch allows you to request a PC for CC.  I believe you can switch a non-cashreward to a cashreward, but not the other way around.

First congrats to your daughter on her NFCU membership & great CC!

Second thanks for the info about PC for CC.  Any thoughts on what their best cards are to have?  When I first apped I had no idea which card to pick so picked the cashRewards Visa & was approved for that.  While waiting to hear about that I got something in the mail from them about the goRewards card so I apped for the MC.  I was approved for both. 

Is there another card that is better?  I don't really use my CC for my everyday spending because my debit card gives me points for all purchases & I can redeem them for cash or gift cards, but I do make large purchases using my CC (we are donig some remodeling) so want to make sure I'm making the most of them. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 12 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

7.9%. Excellent. Congrats to your daughter.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
7.9%. Excellent. Congrats to your daughter.

Yeah, that is their best rate.  I told her to treat it like gold plated platinum (no need to have done so).  At 21 with that type of start, 10 years from now she should be a real credit star.

7.9% fixed is pretty nice.  And while there are some lower rates in a few places, they aren't that much lower.  The best I have really seen currently is around 5.24%, if you can qualify for the best rate at Addison Avenue.

The other wonderful thing about NFCU credit is that they have ZERO fees for use of the credit, whether it be purchases or cash.  AND if you use the convenience check, this is rated as CASH RATE #2, which happens to be equal to purchase rates.  Only if you do bank teller or ATM cash advance or do an online transfer to checking/savings do you pay CASH RATE #1 which is 2% higher than the purchase rate (9.9% still not bad)....but no fees in either cas.

NFCU is a real enigma, unmatched from anything I have found for personal credit.

Message 14 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

NFCU is enormous and they like to spread it around. 
Message 15 of 16
pattycake
Established Contributor

I'm envious - if I had an "in" at NFCU, I'd be there in a heartbeat.  Congrats!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.