Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU

Does anyone know if NFCU is inquiry sensitive.  I currently have two inquires on TU do to my Mortgage.  Set to close on MAY 25 with a VA loan.  And my EQ has 4 inquires...2 for mortgage and one from Sprint (iphone) and one from At&T uverse.  I have a BOA Americard $600.00 limit...zero balance Capital one Platinum $750.00 limit ...zero balance.

I called the NFCU yesterday to inquire if I was eligible for membership as my husband dies 10 years ago while on active duty.  I have never remarried and receive DIC and still have Tri-care, ID and all privileges.  She out me on hold and asked a superviosr who said that I was eligible.  I didn't apply then because my mortage has not closed yet.

I would like to apply for a better credit card but if they pull EQ, that will be inq number five albeit, none are for other cc's.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I'm in the Dallas area and will be going into the Fort Worth branch to apply.

Oh, on EQ and TU reports I have a paid small medical collection ($107.00) that i didn't know about that is going to fall off next year and a paid overpayment from my education benefits from 2008.  My EQ score is 695 and TU is 698.

Also, my income is about $60,000 which includes my salary and tax free DIC from VA.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU

You should be fine, I have never heard of NFCU using inquiries as a reason to decline.   If you can get in with them that is fantastic !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 16
bluewillow
New Contributor

From what I understand all  inquiries within a 30 day period while looking for a mortgage or car loan are only counted as one

So if both TU pulls were for a mortgage loan it should only count as 1

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was new construction so the building process was longer than the 90 day limit.  They pulled the report twice.  Once in the beginning and just recently because we are about to close. 

I was interested in the inquiries because I would like to app for cc at time of opening the account.

Message 4 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It was new construction so the building process was longer than the 90 day limit.  They pulled the report twice.  Once in the beginning and just recently because we are about to close. 

I was interested in the inquiries because I would like to app for cc at time of opening the account.

They might pull your CR twice, once when you apply and once for the CC.   YMMV on this, some people get away with only a single inquiry.    IMO it is absolutely worth it, NFCU is probably the best creditor in terms of approvals and giving large CLs.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have never known them to care about INQ. I probably have 10 just from Navy in the last year or two.

Message 6 of 16
Learning_Tee0225
Regular Contributor

I just joined NFCU in Jan of 2012 ..horrible credit full of collections (graveyard of collection accounts) they pulled TU for membership and was approved over the phone instantly. They didnt care about my dead sea of collection accounts so im sure your inq will be no problem!

Get in sooner then later this is a great bank Smiley Happy

Credit recovery journey -Jan 2022
1/2022: TU: 557 EX: 521 EQ: 567
6/2022: TU: 630 EX: 633 EQ:640
Current Cards
Open Sky Secured: $300
Discover IT: $2000
Merrick Bank: 2K
Mission Lane: $800
Forever 21: $600
Apple Card $1500, NFCU Go Rewards $6700, Amazon $600, Kohls $750
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!  I was unsure if I was even eligible as my husband was a member of USAA when he died and I'm still a full member with them.  But the supervisor said because he died on active duty and I still have his benefits that I was eligible.  We shall see...

Message 8 of 16
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I recently applied for an nRewards.  Approved for $14k limit and good APR.  They pull equifax and I have 12 inquiries on EQ in the last year.... close to twice that if you count the last two years.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if NFCU is inquiry sensitive.  I currently have two inquires on TU do to my Mortgage.  Set to close on MAY 25 with a VA loan.  

Your thought should have ended right there.  If you are in the mortgage process, you shouldn't be applying for credit cards period.

Worry about that once you close.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.