Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFL Extra Points Credit Card

tag
roastbeans
New Contributor

NFL Extra Points Credit Card

Being a football fan I decided to apply for this card and was approved instantly online.And although their reward program is not that great, compare to other cards I have,I couldn't resist thought of having my favorite team logo on the credit card.Anyway, during the process of filling out the application they ask me if was planing to use ATM for cash advance/and if I use ATM on other cards past 6 months......is that some sort of trick question?Never had that asked before from others? Just curious....

Also, When i applied for Barclay card they truned me down, and yet approved this one(issued by Barclay also)? what is the difference? any clue to that?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bobbay
Established Contributor

Re: NFL Extra Points Credit Card

I have searched for data and have been unable to find any evidence but, I suspect each card has different underwriting characteristics based on risk capital pledged by selling company and the card issuer(servicing company) acts as a guide in implementation of credit distribution and management while the backing company sets the tollerable risk exposure willing to enter into based on profit margins and capital available.  I suspect this is one reason why customers of comenity are so purplexed by random differences in how cli's are handed out from a bank that runs similar programs for various vendors.

With that in mind one could establish a relationship with a big bank like citi by apping for Best Buy card from a company backing the card by selling heavily marked up electronics with heavy interest financing to boot.  This is what makes them ok with taking credit risk on lower quality borrowers...IMHO

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 2 of 4
roastbeans
New Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

I have searched for data and have been unable to find any evidence but, I suspect each card has different underwriting characteristics based on risk capital pledged by selling company and the card issuer(servicing company) acts as a guide in implementation of credit distribution and management while the backing company sets the tollerable risk exposure willing to enter into based on profit margins and capital available.  I suspect this is one reason why customers of comenity are so purplexed by random differences in how cli's are handed out from a bank that runs similar programs for various vendors.

With that in mind one could establish a relationship with a big bank like citi by apping for Best Buy card from a company backing the card by selling heavily marked up electronics with heavy interest financing to boot.  This is what makes them ok with taking credit risk on lower quality borrowers...IMHO

I appreciate your logical and thoughtful answer,but I dont consider myself a lower quality borrower with high risk .My current  Myfico TU score,which the Barclay used on me is sitting at 740 without any negatives,ontime payments..etc.I also have cards from what I  consider a reputable banks such as Discover and Chase with decent CL... ,but anycase I think you do make a good point.

Message 3 of 4
bobbay
Established Contributor

My apologies.  I was attempting to speak general and conceptual in nature as to the approval variances whithin a single card servicer.  I have attempted to only apply for cards and programs that I have a high probability of getting approved for and wish they were of the 740 variety. 

So what card does Barclays issue that 740 doesn't fly for?

As for ATM advances maybe risk exposure?  Aren't cash advances from a CC usually highly punitive?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.