Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO Love From GE Capital Again

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

NO Love From GE Capital Again

GE Capital is really starting to remind me of my ex wife. No matter what I do, it's not good enough for a little love. I've paid down most of my cards. Had utilization in the low 40% range earlier this year. Have dropped that down to 8%, my scores are the highest that they've been in over 5 years (and significantly higher than when GE approved me for my cards in Aug '12), I get initiated and auto CLIs on my other cards but from them... nothing!

I tried the love button for my Walmart and JCP cards this morning. Each time I received this message - "We apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot process a credit line increase online for this account."  Ok, I can see that. I've read that the love button sees an old score/report so I called Credit Solutions. We went through the normal questions. I requested that my Walmart limit be increased to $2500. from $700.  Then I was on hold for about 5 minutes. The woman came back and said that she was sorry but they couldn't increase my limit at this time and I will receive a letter explaining why in 7-10 days.  She asked if there was anything else that she could help me with so I asked for an increase on my JCP card. I told her that I can't even buy a comforter with the $200. limit that card has.  I shot low for this increase - $500. My wait was as short as my credit request. I thought surely she wouldn't come back and deny me twice but... she did. I started to question those denials but she told me that she didn't know why and that the letter would explain.  

So a tree will be sacrificed for my credit denials. I'm wondering if I should call back after I get those letters in.  Last time I called for a request was the end of May.  The letter that they sent listed the following reasons -

Serious delinquency and public records or collection filed - That was my BK that was discharged in Feb '10

Time since derogatory public record or collected to short - It's been over 4 years now

Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts to high - Maybe my car refi from May?

Length of time revolving accounts have been established - I have some time under my belt now.

I'll see what this letter says, give it a few months then try again. 

It's ok either way, they might no apprecicate my efforts but there are others that will. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
jwduke
Regular Contributor

Re: NO Love From GE Capital Again

Don't feel bad, I have a $250 CL with JCPennys, and I have a 758 for credit score, and GEMB WILL NOT BUDGE!!! My SO has a score of 678, and has a $5,000 CL, so go figure!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@jwduke wrote:

Don't feel bad, I have a $250 CL with JCPennys, and I have a 758 for credit score, and GEMB WILL NOT BUDGE!!! My SO has a score of 678, and has a $5,000 CL, so go figure!

That's just wrong!

One thing that I noticed while reading my old denial letter is a note about my credit score. That score was from about 2 weeks before the letter's date. It says While the date of the credit score might not be recent, your score has likely not changed significantly since this date. We receive updated scores on a periodic basis, and when significant changes occur. 

Looking at my signiture, the score that I received from them was 653 a few weeks ago (dated 9/7).  My EQ score from here has gone up 21 points in the last month so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 20 on my TU score. The big decrease in my utulization happened this month. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 42
zerobacan
Established Contributor

I have GE accounts since Jan and Feb this year

and I started in the 200 -300 CL

then at the 4 month (April- May) mark Credit solution bumped me into the 500 -1000  CL ranges for my Amazon, Wally, Smart Conenct and JC penny then I got stuck until a week ago

I have 5k Amazon, 2k Jc Penny, 4k Smart Connect 2.1 Wally

The key here has been use it as much as you can. I ve gone up to 20- 30% of the CL and then PIF and bug them....everyday Smiley Happy

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 4 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've only tried for a CLI with them a few times over the last year. I received an auto increase on my Walmart from $600. - $700. after about 3 months. That's it. Seeing that I asked for $2500, if something was going to be approved, it they have came back with a counter offer?

I kind of doubt it in this case because they shot down the $500. request for JCP. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 42
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If she doesn't know why and you will have to wait for the letter that doesn't sound like credit solutions and a manual review, that sounds like computer decision??

the manual review uses "NEW" credit pulls that's the point of it, the luv button and rep cli uses "sometimes" 2+ month old reports.

Message 6 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@zerobacan wrote:

then at the 4 month (April- May) mark Credit solution bumped me into the 500 -1000  CL ranges for my Amazon, Wally, Smart Conenct and JC penny then I got stuck until a week ago

The key here has been use it as much as you can. I ve gone up to 20- 30% of the CL and then PIF and bug them....everyday Smiley Happy

When you say everyday, how often is to often to try? I'm thinking that I'll see what the letters say, knock my utilization down a few more points (don't think that will matter) and try again in 4-5 weeks.

@Creditaddict wrote:

If she doesn't know why and you will have to wait for the letter that doesn't sound like credit solutions and a manual review, that sounds like computer decision??

the manual review uses "NEW" credit pulls that's the point of it, the luv button and rep cli uses "sometimes" 2+ month old reports.

I called the number from the other thread and it sounded like Credit Solutions or something like that when she answered. I was on hold for awhile. She even came back to tell me that it would be another minute or two.  I figured that would be the person that could tell me yes, no and why if no. 

I read about how generous GE is with CLIs. I know that my credit isn't perfect but aside from a BK that was discharged in Feb '10 and some tax iiens, it's not bad. No late payments since the BK, I use the card and overall I think I'm doing pretty good.  My two GE cards have been stuck in the No Increase Zone while the others continue to grow. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 42
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I stopped getting consistent CLIs  from GE last year.  Before then,  I just KNEW that every 6 months I could get at least $900 whenever I tried for an increase, especially on my Amazon and Walmart.   Now, it  seems like as soon as Amazon  hit a CL of $2000, CLIs were  almost shut down; odd because I put a lot of money on my Amazon card.   The last time I got a requested CLI from Amazon was last year, and I was shocked that I got only $300 or so.  So far this year, I received one auto CLI of $400  a month or so after I had been denied when I requested one.  I tried for one with Amazon and with Walmart last week, and was denied.  

I also have JCP, which has always been good with CLI.  I don't request increases often because I use the card just once -twice a year.  Still, I usually get increases when I request them.  About 3 years ago, PayPal took away my ability to even request increases.  I rarely got small auto increases in that time, and then last year, I got two auto CLIs totaling $3400.

So, I do not know what to expect from GE these days -  It might be that I just need to wait until they give me auto increases. 

I am so close to getting all of my cards at least $5000; JCP and Walmart are very close.  Amazon, along with Firestone, lag behind.  At this point, I think it will take a minute to get Amazon there, unless GE suddenly gets generous with it the way they did with the PayPal account last year.   I thought I had GE figured out, but looks like they have changed the rules. Smiley Surprised

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 42
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@zerobacan wrote:

When you say everyday, how often is to often to try? I'm thinking that I'll see what the letters say, knock my utilization down a few more points (don't think that will matter) and try again in 4-5 weeks.

Everyday since I made my payment, then when the account shows 0 balance, then right before my statement cuts and right after it reports. Finally three days later when TU gets updated with the payment and new balance. remember they always sp TU.

Then I do this for my other 4 GE accounts, so im pretty much calling at least twice or three times per week Smiley Happy

last time I got that dreaded love button message. sorry but we cannot... I called the same day and got my Amazon from 2100 to 5000 and paypal smart connect from 2000 to 4000

funny. im in hold for asking a CLI for my Wally card now... currently at 2.1k, asked for 6.... :s

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 9 of 42
madmann26
Valued Contributor

There have been  some reports of GEMB being super finicky since they announced they were getting out  of the store card game.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/report-ge-capital-to-drop-consumer-finance-unit.html/?a=viewall

It's funny, about 2 weeks ago, I app'd for the Amazon Store Card and was approved with a $1200. They pulled TU only. There really isn't a rhyme or reason as to why/how they make decisions. I think it's really up to the credit analyst you talk to at any given time.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.