Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT APPROVED for COMENITY citing reasons that are NOT accurate

tag
MeOnMyWay

NOT APPROVED for COMENITY citing reasons that are NOT accurate

So...

I applied for Comenity's new Virgin America card.  I have an Eddie Bauer account with Comenity, as well as a Bill Me Later credit line, so I thought they couldn't hate me too badly...but man! I was really shocked to receive my decline letter today...and not so much for the decline, but for the reasons they cited and the score they've given me.

They pulled only EQ, but use their own scoring system. I am not sure how the numbers relate to FICO scores, but they tell me I have a 466 on their scale.

The first reasons they cite for declining me are :

•Number of recent inquiries (It is high-ish...6 in total, with 3 of them being Comenity apps--one for Eddie Bauer, one for Bill me Later, and one for Pottery Barn. I didn't get the PB, but was approved for the EB and BML)

•Delinquent past or pesent credit obligations with others (I have NO delinquencies listed. I do show a (bogus) Verizon collection account that is listed as in dispute)

The additional reasons they cite are numerous:

•Total number of inquiries for credit purposes made within six months of the profile date (excluding the last 14 days) (see above)

•Worst status ever on a trade is greater than or equal to 400 (Does this mean 400 days? This does not exist on my credit report)

•Total number of trades opened within 24 months of the prfile date ever 30 or more days delinquent or derogatory (There are NONE meeting this description)

•Total number of open/closed unpaid collection trades (Again...NONE)

•Total number of bankcard inquiries made for credit purposes (Isn't this the the THIRD time they have cited this reason?)

Besides regularly checking on my credit report through CS, CK, I also have Capital One score monitoring, AAA scorewatch, Barclay card score monitoring. In addition, I pay for Experian's credit monitoring program, which I have checked almost every single day for the last six months (when I began rebuilding).

I have also, ordered myFICO scores for all three bureaus every month for the last several months (ok...I'm obsessed)...and twice for Equifax this month, so I KNOW nothing funny is going on with what is being reported.  

Where on earth did Comenity come up with these reasons?  Do they sometimes just insert a bunch of stuff to fill in the space on their letters?  Frustratingly, they offer no phone number to call and invesigate.  You have to write to them.  Should I send them the copy of my credit report that corresponds to the day I apped? I am so bewildered by the letter they sent!!

Thoughts? Ideas? Similar experiences?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NOT APPROVED for COMENITY citing reasons that are NOT accurate

Did they HP for this app??

Message 2 of 10
MeOnMyWay

Yep...they sure did HP on this, gdale6. In fact, that is why I bought my Equifax report for the second time this month...to see if their inquiry was showing up. It was there the very next day.

Message 3 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Reread the document they gave you

did it say these were the reasons YOU were denied, or the common reasons PEOPLE (in general) are declined for credit cards. 

Also, did they give you a credit scale for their internal scoring system. Most lenders tend to do that when they use an internal system. 

Message 4 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@MeOnMyWay wrote:

Yep...they sure did HP on this, gdale6. In fact, that is why I bought my Equifax report for the second time this month...to see if their inquiry was showing up. It was there the very next day.

Ok, the real reason would be past delinquent credit obligations and if the Verizon is on it that is one of the big reasons, since you already have accounts with them thely also could be referencing a SP that still shows any baddies you may have had previous to their deletion, SPs can be 3 months behind current date. If you question the reasons I would write them a letter and send along a copy of the report that you pulled on same day with request for recon.

Message 5 of 10
MeOnMyWay

Rereading the letter, here is what it says:

"Because of information in your credit report, we are unable to approve your application at this time.  Here are our reasons for declining your request:

•Number of recent inquiries

• Delinquent past or present credit obligations with others

Below you will find some additional information regarding your credit score.  Your score can change over time as your credit information changes, and we hope you will consider reapplying for a(n) Virgin America Visa credit card in the future.

If you have any questions, please contact us at the address above. We will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely, 

Customer Care team

Your credit score as of 4-14-2014: 466

In the scoring system we used, scores can range from 1 to the best possible score, 999.  Please be aware, there are a number of different credit scoring systems availabe, and each uses a different range of numbers.

Here are the most significant factors in determining your score: "

Then followed the reasons that I posted above, so it appears these are reasons given specifically to me.  :Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 10
MeOnMyWay

I can see the first two reasons being reasonable...if they are looking at number of inquiries and the Verizon in dispute.  Other than that, I have nothing bad on my report for years and years.  I had a bad patch years ago, and I just left my credit alone for seven years.  There was no activity whatsoever, excepting student loans--all in good standing, and that disputed Verizon account, which honestly isn't mine...(...not that they would know this.) But!...maybe...if they pull up the inquiries from several months ago...the last of the old baddies dropped off about then--they were seven years old.  Are you thinking that could be in play?

Message 7 of 10
MeOnMyWay

Still...I definitely have not had any derogatory notes on anything opened in the last 24 months...

Message 8 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@MeOnMyWay wrote:

I can see the first two reasons being reasonable...if they are looking at number of inquiries and the Verizon in dispute.  Other than that, I have nothing bad on my report for years and years.  I had a bad patch years ago, and I just left my credit alone for seven years.  There was no activity whatsoever, excepting student loans--all in good standing, and that disputed Verizon account, which honestly isn't mine...(...not that they would know this.) But!...maybe...if they pull up the inquiries from several months ago...the last of the old baddies dropped off about then--they were seven years old.  Are you thinking that could be in play?

Its always possible, if you were approved with for those accounts you currently have with baddies they would still be in their system even though they may not show on a current CR. Banks these days have memories on these things even though they may not currently appear (this stmt applies to creditors you already have a relationship with)..

Message 9 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

It took me about 6 months to get the Total Rewards card, luckily I did before my trip to Vegas but they cited similar things than one day I got a popup and was able to get approved off that, good luck, there is a recon number on the back door thread  I belive

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.