Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPSL Amex Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NPSL Amex Cards

@KSK1912 wrote:

Also one thing to remember is when you have a charge card and a revolving card with Amex, the balance on your revolving card(s) also effects what you can charge on your NPSL card(s). If my prg or green card balance goes high, then they will stop charging abilities on my revolving cards also, even if i have available limit on them. This may not be an issue for those who have high limits on their revolvers, and carry low balance, but in my case my 2 revolvers have only $1K limit each so it does become an issue sometimes. So i guess it is safe to say that Amex looks at your overall balance with them, across all cards, when determining to approve or decline a charge on an NPSL card.

Interesting.  My Everday has a $4000 limit and has had quite high utilization recently - I do not believe this has had an impact on my PRG spending ability - however, recently I have been paying down the balance of my ED (down to around 45% utilization, for the last two statements), and as I mentioned earlier, they did allow me to go $2000 over limit - at the time my PRG total balance was around $6000.  It could have to do with the limits, but still good to know.

How old are your accounts?

Message 21 of 28
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KSK1912 wrote:

Also one thing to remember is when you have a charge card and a revolving card with Amex, the balance on your revolving card(s) also effects what you can charge on your NPSL card(s). If my prg or green card balance goes high, then they will stop charging abilities on my revolving cards also, even if i have available limit on them. This may not be an issue for those who have high limits on their revolvers, and carry low balance, but in my case my 2 revolvers have only $1K limit each so it does become an issue sometimes. So i guess it is safe to say that Amex looks at your overall balance with them, across all cards, when determining to approve or decline a charge on an NPSL card.

Interesting.  My Everday has a $4000 limit and has had quite high utilization recently - I do not believe this has had an impact on my PRG spending ability - however, recently I have been paying down the balance of my ED (down to around 45% utilization, for the last two statements), and as I mentioned earlier, they did allow me to go $2000 over limit - at the time my PRG total balance was around $6000.  It could have to do with the limits, but still good to know.

How old are your accounts?

They are new. First one was the BCE opened in Dec 2015, and Delta, Green Card and PRG opened in April of this year. I would assume they would keep the revolvers seperate, and i should be able to use the available limit on my revolvers, seperate from the npsl cards, but at least for me, it don't work that way. Most i charged on my prg (total) is about $1500 with highest transaction being $1250 for my attorney. Green card, i use it for smaller charges and my balance dont go over $350 to $500

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 22 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If Amex locks an account wanting payment then they typically lock all accounts.
Now if they are still allowing charges on charge but freeze your revolver, that would be a new one for me.
Message 23 of 28
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
If Amex locks an account wanting payment then they typically lock all accounts.
Now if they are still allowing charges on charge but freeze your revolver, that would be a new one for me.

Creditaddict,

what you said makes sense. One interesting data point is that even though they tell me the charging privileges are suspended (not may be suspended, but Suspended) I can still charge some stuff online, without swiping the card. Those charges still go thru, but i never tried swiping it. If it happens again, i will try swiping it and see if it goes thru.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 24 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if someone had an educated guess what the "CL" is on this card. I know it can vary.  Is there a way to estimate what the range could be.  I do not want to go to make a purcahse and it declines.  I just recieved the card in the mail today.  I charged $500.00 on it and paid it off with in a hour of charging it.  I have other Amex Cards as well but not too high limits as they are new as well.

Thank you,

Although you can supposedly 'check spending power' (a) it fluctuates and (b) I would never ever count on it.

I don't really trust Amex. Anyone who won't tell you what your limit is, is not to be trusted.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kinda off topic, but why would someone get the green and PRG?

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if someone had an educated guess what the "CL" is on this card. I know it can vary.  Is there a way to estimate what the range could be.  I do not want to go to make a purcahse and it declines.  I just recieved the card in the mail today.  I charged $500.00 on it and paid it off with in a hour of charging it.  I have other Amex Cards as well but not too high limits as they are new as well.

Thank you,

I would NOT make payments for small charges. One nice Amex agent explained to me that one of the criteria that goes into their algorithm is the size of your payments. So paying small amounts won't help you.

Amex uses a large range of criteria to calculate your spending ability and it can change hour to hour. I have been allowed to spend up to $95k during one billing cycle and gotten "your spending privileges might be suspended" when my balance on the same card hit $20k. They do look at your credit report frequently, especially before approving a large purchase; they look at WHERE you spend; For example when I spend on travel and hotels I rarely have any issues but paying Paypal vendors and pizzas generates questions and declines. Amex gets spooked any time your spending changes an established pattern. During the first few months, they are looking at your account very carefully and every charge might get scrutinized. Once they understand how you spend, and just as importantly, how you pay (large amounts as soon after statement cuts as possible), they are much more lenient. 

I would avoid using the card for things that would spook Amex such as rent, lawyers, pawn shops, at least in the first 6 months. Increased utilization on other cards also spooks them. 

If you are going to make a charge that is outside of your usual pattern, call Amex ahead of time and notify them. They will note the system and will make sure that the charge can be approved. 

Data points: Amex Platinum Biz NPSL - highest monthly $95k; Amex PRG (just 2 months old) - highest monthly =$15k with $35k in Pay over Time available. Overall utilization currently 15% but usually at 1-2%. 

Message 27 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

in most cases if you have decent income (50k plus)  and a clean credit report,  you may never find out your internal limit unless you are spending multiple times your monthly income. The first month I had my AMEX charge (zync) i ran over a $1000 on the card, the second month it was over 2000. and i have never had a charge declined, my take home pay at the time was about 4000.  I have tested my spend ability on the card and never had any request denied even up to $15000, which is 4+  times my monthly net pay. Use the card, pay the bill, don't exceed what you can pay, shouldn't be any issues.  

I''m sure someone will say they have had issues, but most people don't.  The site attracts some deffinetly outliers in the credit world.  Not everone can spend 95k a month on a charge card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.