cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NRA card converted to a Penfed Platinum Rewards card! Say what!!!

tag
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

NRA card converted to a Penfed Platinum Rewards card! Say what!!!

My DW just got a letter today from Penfed that her 5% NRA gas and sports card will be converted to a Penfed Platinum Rewards card on April 24, 2020. Here is what the letter says verbatim.

"We're pleased to inform you on November 26th, 2019 First Bankcard and Penfed Credit Union came to a mutual agreement for Penfed to acquire and service your credit card ending in ###."

"On April 24th, 2020 your NRA Credit card is scheduled to be converted to a Penfed Platinum Rewards Vis card account."

Where in the he!! did this come from???

Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: NRA card converted to a Penfed Platinum Rewards card! Say what!!!

Well that's interesting...   congrats to DW (and you)!!  The PenFed Plat is a great card.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm taking it as if you're not happy about it.  Does the new card fit your needs? At least with gas, its 5 pts for each $1, provided that its 1 ppc conversion and you can redeem the same way as the NRA card.

Message 3 of 82
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Wow, That is very interesting news.

Message 4 of 82
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Didn't see that one coming. 😆
Credit Unions are getting into servicing other lenders CC's now?

@Anonymous The Platinum isn't quite 1:1. So they'll lose a little cash back. But IMHO gain a better lender.
Message 5 of 82
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gmood1 wrote:

@AnonymousThe Platinum isn't quite 1:1. So they'll lose a little cash back. But IMHO gain a better lender.

Yup, definitely a 1st for PenFed in acquiring a non-CU credit card portfolio.  I missed out on the NRA card when it was first launched by FNBO, but ended up with the Ducks Unlimited last year which worked out better 😁

Message 6 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@AnonymousThe Platinum isn't quite 1:1. So they'll lose a little cash back. But IMHO gain a better lender.

Yeah, after OP digests the change, might find it to be a better card hopefully. No one likes a favorite card yanked out of their wallet/purse, but it's a two-way street and it happens, sometimes for the better.

Message 7 of 82
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Say whaaaaat? That’s pretty random, but PenFed has been great to deal with in my experience :-) Still, even Miss Cleo couldn’t come up with that prediction I bet!

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 8 of 82
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Yeah, after OP digests the change, might find it to be a better card hopefully. No one likes a favorite card yanked out of their wallet/purse, but it's a two-way street and it happens, sometimes for the better.

Well, it's about 0.85c per point for Visa gift cards, sometimes a little higher for other gift cards on sale.   So still a hit if you really want a 5% gas card, no matter how good the lender.   And Penfed can always devalue the points more....

Message 9 of 82
digitek
Established Contributor

I think this in response to FNBO stating they were ending their relationship with the NRA last year.

They never said what that meant or gave any timeline. This seems like a pretty good outcome for the card.
Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.