Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name all the prime lenders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name all the prime lenders

What banks do you consider to be prime lenders?

AMEX and Chase obviously. Who else? Is Discover considered a prime lender?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name all the prime lenders

For me it is only Chase because I am biased.  I do have cards with others though such as Amex and the likes.  But Chase is the only one I consider as tops.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does one define "prime" exactly?  What constitutes "prime" and is it quantifiable or do definitions vary from person to person?

Message 3 of 25
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Good question Brutal.  I think it's subjective, however to define the spectrum, Chase would be at one end, and Credit One would be at the other.  Perhaps by the value of the offerings as well as the ease/difficulty of approval criteria.  Imho of course

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex, Citi, Chase, Discover, Capone is borderline to me, us bank...I'm sure there are others.

A prime card is really a card that fits your needs. Ex. I'm not traveling a lot now and have a baby on the way so a CSR or AmEx plat wouldn't be a good choice for me at this time IMO..I don't feel like getting the bonus and canceling at this time. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they notice things like that.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How does one define "prime" exactly?  What constitutes "prime" and is it quantifiable or do definitions vary from person to person?

I think what OP means here by prime is " of the best possible quality or importance".  And yes, it's meaning does vary from person to person hence, my guess is thats why OP started by naming banks he /she considers prime...

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose it would have to be subjective then.  Even if we all agree on the book ends of the spectrum as you stated, depending on personal criteria/opinion different individuals would likely find a different "cut off" point on the spectrum as to what constitutes "prime" and what does not.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think what OP means here by prime is " of the best possible quality or importance".  And yes, it's meaning does vary from person to person hence, my guess is thats why OP started by naming banks he /she considers prime...

I get that, but while it seems the OP was looking for opinions he also asked the question, "Is Discover a prime lender?"  He did not ask "do you think" but rather posed the question as if the answer was a simple yes/no and it was a black or white type of thing.  Perhaps that's what threw me off a bit.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah this is basically opinion based.

What banks do you hold in the highest regard, in other words? How would place them into tiers? Amex, Citi, and Chase in the top tier, then Discover and CapOne in the second tier, and Credit One in the third? That kind of thing.
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off these are all IMO

Prime Level: Chase, NFCU (Due to customer service)

Meh Level: Synchrony, Comenity, Barclay, Cap One, USAA (may change with limitless card), BOA, Citi, General Credit Unions. 

Stay away from level: Credit One, Wells Fargo, anything with an annual fee and no rewards

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.