Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

Well, someone already beat me to the punch my naming FP. So, I'll name another one... Applied Bank.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 30
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

ya forgot about that one what about mbna back in the day i remember having a 1500 credit card and a 26.9APR

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 13 of 30
aftermath
Established Contributor

Amex... after being subjected to an FR! Smiley Very Happy

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 14 of 30
andre181
Established Contributor

Providian/WaMu

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 15 of 30
smc733
Valued Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

Amex is a "prime" lender, we can all agree, but as someone on another *ahem* board has once said, they rely on "very subprime" tactics, most notably, their "great customer service" goes down the drain with rude service for people who end up being FR'd.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 16 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

Amex is a "prime" lender, we can all agree, but as someone on another *ahem* board has once said, they rely on "very subprime" tactics, most notably, their "great customer service" goes down the drain with rude service for people who end up being FR'd.

No we can't.   I think American Express business philosophy or FR or dropping anybody for any possible reason is not prime.  

Message 17 of 30
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@creditguy-378 wrote:

ya forgot about that one what about mbna back in the day i remember having a 1500 credit card and a 26.9APR

I believe, that for the most part, they're referring to subprime-only lenders.

MBNA, for the most part, was a prime credit card company. Every credit card company may have accounts with higher interest rates, however, that doesn't represent their entire portfolio. 

Anyway, I'm glad to have never done business with any of the subprime lender noted here, or any others. Smiley Very Happy

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lets make a list of subprime Credit Card companies. I'll start it off...

1: HSBC

2: Creditone Bank

3: Capital One

How is Capital One subprime? While they offer secured cards for rebuilding or establishing credit, that doesn't mean they are subprime. Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citi, all offer secured cards and they are the furthest thing from subprime. Capital One has many cards for those with excellent credit. Also, they don't charge a foreign transaction fee or balance transfer fee. In addition to that, they make managing your account online very convenient. You can change the card image (at no charge) and set travel notifications. Capital One also has an online checking account that pays 1% interest and reimburses ATM fees amongst other nice banking options. I have a Capital One card that has 7% APR and $5,200 CL with no annual fee. To say that is subprime is just a joke.

Message 19 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

"Sub-prime" is a relative term in our own minds. When we think "subprime" I believe most of us are thinking about First Premier, Applied Bank, the old Emblem, Tribute, Aspire and others from Columbus B&T, Credit One, and many more I'm sure. Then opinions tend to slide towards other CCs as well like Orchard, HSBC, etc.. I bet some in here think Amex is subprime by they way the sometimes treat their customers with FRs, etc. (I think Amex is great).

IMO, I'm in the camp that CapOne is subprime. While the APR wasn't too bad on mine at about 20%, the APR was higher than my Orchard which was under 15% and higher than DW's HSBC. Not only that, but I'm stuck at $1000 and CapOne almost never ever never gives CLIs, whereas HSBC/Orchard recently increased CLs. And CapOne pulls all 3 CRAs and then there's an annual fee. Now there have been a couple of posts in here that CapOne is doing FRs. Nuts! And I'm sure most CapOne CC cardholders are like this as well and that's where the stigma comes from with regards to CapOne being perceived as a subprime CC. I can't speak to everyone on here, but it's my own fault that I had a CapOne and should have waited until credit improved (back then) before apping. There seems to be a paradigm shift lately within CapOne, but 2-3+ years ago, their focus was on those who had lower credit scores. I see better limits now being posted by those who waited to apply with high scores.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.