cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrowing Down My Cards. Which cards should I keep?

tag
britthester
New Contributor

Narrowing Down My Cards. Which cards should I keep?

So, I'm trying to simplify my credit cards. I've applied for several credit cards over the past couple of years and I've earned a lot of rewards. That said, I'm trying to narrow down my list and put most of my spending on 1-2 cards. I've listed my current cards with their limits below. I have a good idea of what I want to do, but I wanted to get a second opinion before pulling the trigger. Any feedback is welcome and valued. Thanks! 

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Amex Blue Cash Everyday ($10,800) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

Cap One Quicksilver ($5,000) 

BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5,000)

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Narrowing Down My Cards. Which cards should I keep?

@britthester wrote:

So, I'm trying to simplify my credit cards. I've applied for several credit cards over the past couple of years and I've earned a lot of rewards. That said, I'm trying to narrow down my list and put most of my spending on 1-2 cards. I've listed my current cards with their limits below. I have a good idea of what I want to do, but I wanted to get a second opinion before pulling the trigger. Any feedback is welcome and valued. Thanks! 

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

That list seems small enough. Aren't the cash rewards on bankamericard similar to the BCE? If so, and you are dead set on closing one....that's my choice. but you want the CS and freedom working together; BCE for whenever gas/groceries arent 5% categories on discover or freedom; and quicksilver for everything else....seems like you're carrying a minimalist load to me.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@britthester wrote:

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

it would depend on what your goals are ? are you going for pure cash back , the first thing i noticced is that BCE and BOA card are redundant i would cut one of those cards, and sapphire is only 2x restaurant card do you need that ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 37
britthester
New Contributor

Planning on cutting the Sapphire for sure. I'm not sure which card to keep when it comes to the Amex Blue Cash and BankAmericard. I spend more on gas, so it makes sense to keep the BofA, but Amex's customer service is top notch and that's my highest credit line. 

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

it would depend on what your goals are ? are you going for pure cash back , the first thing i noticced is that BCE and BOA card are redundant i would cut one of those cards, and sapphire is only 2x restaurant card do you need that ?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

Message 4 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@britthester wrote:

Planning on cutting the Sapphire for sure. I'm not sure which card to keep when it comes to the Amex Blue Cash and BankAmericard. I spend more on gas, so it makes sense to keep the BofA, but Amex's customer service is top notch and that's my highest credit line. 

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

Chase Freedom ($7,500) 

Chase Sapphire ($7,250) 

Discover It ($5,000) 

correct me if i am wrong bce is uncapped gas at 2% and bank of america is 3 % on gas capped at 1500 an quarter, so i guess its up to what do you spend more on gas or groceries. 

Message 5 of 37
britthester
New Contributor

I definitely spend more on gas than groceries. 

Message 6 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@britthester wrote:

I guess than keep the boa card and send amex to the chopping block , thats what i would do at least lol

Message 7 of 37
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

I guess than keep the boa card and send amex to the chopping block , thats what i would do at least lol

Why ? 2% unlimited Gas vs capped . Also would like to keep Amex unless you never shop at costco.

Also that is his highest limit which you should chop imo

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@britthester wrote:

Why ? 2% unlimited Gas vs capped . Also would like to keep Amex unless you never shop at costco.

Also that is his highest limit which you should chop imo

1500 is an awful an lot to spend on gas  per quarter. I don't think i spend near that amount per quarter. I am not even getting close on my freedom 5% gas this quarter, but my situation isn't the same as everybody elses i guess. 

Message 9 of 37
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I'd cut the Discover.  Just because it's Discover.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.