cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrowing Down My Cards. Which cards should I keep?

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Narrowing Down My Cards. Which cards should I keep?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I'd cut the Discover.  Just because it's Discover.

i still kind of have love hate with discover, i really do like the fico and the shopdiscover site , some good deals on there if you shop online that is .

+1 

Honestly I have my sock drawered till they give me a better CL 

well its sock drawered for me because freedom UR > Discover cash back in my book :-)

Well since I am carrying a balance on my Freedom I will be doing my Q4 purchases on my discover but after all that the discover card will be Sock drawered ... Maybe just transfer the balance to my citi card since it's useless TY points Smiley Tongue

I like my ty points, ty. Espeacially now that I can use them at amazon.... Of course....I use my cash+ for dining....so ty points are only for "entertainment."

So even though you only get 0.85 cents per TYP at Amazon?   I really don't understand that!

I guess I don't care because I was spending sign up bonus ty points, and the thing I was buying cost less than ten bucks....I just liked the fact that I could just click on use ty points to pay, and I was done.....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 21 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

i still kind of have love hate with discover, i really do like the fico and the shopdiscover site , some good deals on there if you shop online that is .

Sorry, but Discovery IT (sense the sarcasm) is not my "it" card and it's all because of shopdiscover.  They ripped me off of $15 and I will go to my grave not forgiving them for it.  So now I use Ebates.  I know it's silly, but if they can send me a Starbucks card every 10 months, they can afford to right their wrong.  Speaking of which, I haven't received one of those coffee cards in awhile.  Maybe they know my true feelings.

I think i to one back in december for my birthday lol I thought it was an nice touch, even though i don't drink coffee!!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 22 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

I guess I don't care because I was spending sign up bonus ty points, and the thing I was buying cost less than ten bucks....I just liked the fact that I could just click on use ty points to pay, and I was done.....

Yes, and Citi thanks you as the bonus points could have been converted to cash and used to pay Amazon earning 15% more.  They have cleverly marketed convenience and rip users off (whereas Chase gives 1c per point as you might expect).  What does surprise me is that many of the people who do this are also deeply involved in working out how to maximize CLIs, and which cards to sign up for, neglecting the redemption side, where here the card is turning into a 0.85% rewards card.   

Message 23 of 37
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Sorry, but Discovery IT (sense the sarcasm) is not my "it" card and it's all because of shopdiscover.  They ripped me off of $15 and I will go to my grave not forgiving them for it.  So now I use Ebates.  I know it's silly, but if they can send me a Starbucks card every 10 months, they can afford to right their wrong.  Speaking of which, I haven't received one of those coffee cards in awhile.  Maybe they know my true feelings.

I think i to one back in december for my birthday lol I thought it was an nice touch, even though i don't drink coffee!!

Mail them to me ... Just spent $16 for one of their reserve coffees which is amazing Smiley Very Happy 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 24 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Mail them to me ... Just spent $16 for one of their reserve coffees which is amazing Smiley Very Happy 

I gave it away already to one of my coffee addict friends :-)

Message 25 of 37
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I want some more Cards already ... LAst one was like March when I maxed out my card. .. Maybe they thought I couldn't afford buying more coffee Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 26 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I want some more Cards already ... LAst one was like March when I maxed out my card. .. Maybe they thought I couldn't afford buying more coffee Smiley Tongue

I don't get the appeal of coffee and starbucks coffee in particular , their coffee seems really bitter. 

Message 27 of 37
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I don't get the appeal of coffee and starbucks coffee in particular , their coffee seems really bitter. 

Try their new Starbucks Reserve coffee .... Amazing! Almost tempted to pay $50 for a 12 ounce bag of it on their website for one of the reserves 

Message 28 of 37
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

Yes, and Citi thanks you as the bonus points could have been converted to cash and used to pay Amazon earning 15% more.  They have cleverly marketed convenience and rip users off (whereas Chase gives 1c per point as you might expect).  What does surprise me is that many of the people who do this are also deeply involved in working out how to maximize CLIs, and which cards to sign up for, neglecting the redemption side, where here the card is turning into a 0.85% rewards card.   

This is a good point LTL... I have just recently started looking into the redemption side. The whole idea for me is to spend as efficiently as possible....I have not put enough thought into the redemption side yet......but now that my eyes are open....there is a new aspect to the game. Good. I was getting bored....though I am probably going to pick up salliemae pretty soon, and I was going to app for a quicksilver too.....now it seems that I might want to get in on this MR extravaganza and use an ED as the "everything else" card and forget the QS.....I feel like a credit rookie again...lol.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 29 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Try their new Starbucks Reserve coffee .... Amazing! Almost tempted to pay $50 for a 12 ounce bag of it on their website for one of the reserves 

i have had maybe 3 or 4 sips of coffee in my whole life, kind of off topic but how do keurig branded starbucks thingies taste? 

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.