Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasa offer

Highlighted
Mega Contributor

Nasa offer

Not great, but for those with the card:

You don't have to travel far to get a great offer. We're giving you a cash bonus of $100, just for using your card!*

It's easy to get $100!
Simply use your NASA Federal Platinum Cash Rewards credit card ending in XXXX for purchases between now and August 16, 2020. You could use your card for groceries, restaurant take-out, deliveries, online purchases and more. If your total purchases are $1,500 or more with at least 20 transactions, we'll deposit $100 into your savings account. It can't be easier to get rewarded for your everyday shopping!

The card earns 1.5% anyway, so $100 for $1,500 beats putting it all on a 5% card.  But possibly too much work for me!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Nasa offer

I didn't even know NASA had a card this is Awesome Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 32
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Got this email today as well 👍

My most prized tradeline.
Message 3 of 32
Highlighted

Ha!  I just logged in to post the offer here.  Wondering how targeted it is since it does mention that it's only for the cardholder and account number mentioned in the email?  $122.50 ($100 + 1.5%) for $1500 works out to over 8% cash back, so I'll take advantage.  Twenty $75 Amazon reloads over the next 2 months would do the trick!

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 2.39.19 PM.png

Edit: I have 1600 orphan points left from the last time I used the card a few years ago (NASA is in NO hurry to close unused accounts BTW), so that's an extra $16!

Message 4 of 32
Highlighted

I just remembered that NASA points aren't 1 cent per point.  Cash back is 0.7 cpp and other things like gift cards and charitable contributions are 0.8 cpp.  Scratch all of my math up there; I'm still going to have orphan points!  Smiley Frustrated  It's still 6.66% just counting the $100.

Message 5 of 32
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I just remembered that NASA points aren't 1 cent per point.  Cash back is 0.7 cpp and other things like gift cards and charitable contributions are 0.8 cpp.  Scratch all of my math up there; I'm still going to have orphan points!  Smiley Frustrated  It's still 6.66% just counting the $100.

They used to have a 1.5 redemption rate on hotels but that has gone away.

Many hotel rooms I've scalped that way.

Official travel point totals as of 9/19/20 (Goal Free Travel)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 183,844
World of Hyatt 81,381
AMEX Membership Rewards 52,623
AA Advantage 15,144
United MileagePlus 13,316
British Airways Avios 11,332
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Southwest Rapid Rewards 1,000
Expedia Points 740
Hilton Honors 481
Delta Sky Miles 123
Virgin Atlantic 100
Jet Blue 66
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)

Official cashback as of 9/19/20 (Goal Fund Roth IRA)
Acorns 720.10
Retail Me Not 208.59
Top Cashback 39.08
DOSH App 36.73
PEI App 34.76
Raise Cash 27.49
Club Overstock 23.87
Mr. Rebates 14.65
Discover 4.03
NFCU Rewards 2.96

Other Point Category
Freebird 3,500
Samsung Rewards 2,840
Open Table 1,700
Message 6 of 32
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thats cool, congrats!

Now if only that generosity it rubs off on NFCU.

Message 7 of 32
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I am confused!   On my screen it shows:

For example 1,667 Points = $ 25 Cash Back

Isn't that 1.5cpp which seems a little generous!

ETA:   The terms and conditions make it a little clearer:

Platinum Cash Rewards cardholders earn 1point per each one (1) dollar charged on the member’s credit card. – Points can be redeemed for both Cash Back and Gift Cards. Cash Back will equal 1.5% on all purchases.

So unlike say the Chase Freedom Unlimited, the card earns 1 point per $, but each point is worth 1.5c, whereas the CFU earns 1.5points per $ with cashback value of 1c.

Message 8 of 32
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Still a good return on $1500 in a relatively short period of time. 

Scores, HPs/24 mos. (updated 10/09/20):
    Experian FICO Score 8 = 825, 1/24
    Experian FICO Score 9 = 813, 1/24
   TransUnion = 815, 1/24
    Equifax = 819, 0/24

Total 2019 rewards, incl. offers/deals = $1,709.07
Avg. rewards rate, incl. offers/deals = 3.92%

Total CL: $247,000

Cards (hover over for CL | interest rate | Date Opened):
Message 9 of 32
Highlighted

@longtimelurker wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I am confused!   On my screen it shows:

For example 1,667 Points = $ 25 Cash Back

Isn't that 1.5cpp which seems a little generous!

ETA:   The terms and conditions make it a little clearer:

Platinum Cash Rewards cardholders earn 1point per each one (1) dollar charged on the member’s credit card. – Points can be redeemed for both Cash Back and Gift Cards. Cash Back will equal 1.5% on all purchases.

So unlike say the Chase Freedom Unlimited, the card earns 1 point per $, but each point is worth 1.5c, whereas the CFU earns 1.5points per $ with cashback value of 1c.

Now I'm super confused!  LOL  This is the trouble with enticing spend on a sock-drawered card that never gets used for purchases and is just waiting for the next good BT offer.

So I have the Platinium Advantage Rewards card, not Platinum Cash Rewards!  Oops.  Not only is my earning worse, but my redemption is far worse:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 9.01.26 PM.png

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.