Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Credit Unions credit card pre qualify

tag
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

Re: National Credit Unions credit card pre qualify

@Anonymous wrote:

Most credit unions don't like people who just hit them for credit. If you build a relationship first like throwing some money in their savings at the 3% rate on the first $500, it can go a long way towards getting approvals down the line. 

Especially mid sized or smaller CUs

Message 51 of 67
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most credit unions don't like people who just hit them for credit. If you build a relationship first like throwing some money in their savings at the 3% rate on the first $500, it can go a long way towards getting approvals down the line. 

I think ill do this with my SCU to help. I started depositing a couple bucks with PSECU and eventually got a cc. Did it help, no clue, but i like to think it doesSmiley Happy

Message 52 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't live in PA. This will not help me.

Message 53 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

PA?

The credit unions that have been listed all seem to have routes to establish membership. If you're talking about PSECU, you can join Pennsylvania Recreation and Park Society Membership when you're filling out the form. They'll cover $10 of the membership and you cover the other $10. 

Quite a few CUs have these types of loopholes to become a member. 

Message 54 of 67
AlpedHuez
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PA?

The credit unions that have been listed all seem to have routes to establish membership. If you're talking about PSECU, you can join Pennsylvania Recreation and Park Society Membership when you're filling out the form. They'll cover $10 of the membership and you cover the other $10. 

Really interesting that PSECU reopened this loophole as I got in the last time it was open through the park membership (gosh, it seems like that was like a decade ago or around that). Most CUs don't ever go back to allowing membership loopholes to open again once one is discovered that opens floodgates they didn't anticipate.

Message 55 of 67
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Saeren is right, I joined last week that way and applied for membership and Founders card.

They approved me for both earlier today.

Message 56 of 67
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@AlpedHuez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PA?

Really interesting that PSECU reopened this loophole as I got in the last time it was open through the park membership (gosh, it seems like that was like a decade ago or around that). Most CUs don't ever go back to allowing membership loopholes to open again once one is discovered that opens floodgates they didn't anticipate.

USAA flops at times, but thats years in between flops and they're also a bank.

NFCU has flopped in past too.

I think it depends on economy's strength at the institutions will to expand or tighten up.

Message 57 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

National credit unions besides Navy & Penfed that offer pre-approvals credit card list.

Hello... I am looking for credit unions that let almost anyone to join with them. There are ones like US Alliance that offer pre-qualify. Is there a list for them. It has been a long time since I have been here. I hope someone will have a answer. Thank you for your time.

Message 58 of 67
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

Re: National credit unions besides Navy & Penfed that offer pre-approvals credit card list.

Besides PenFed, I recently joined SDFCU (State Department Federal Credit Union) and NASA FCU. I have no military or NASA affiliation. These credit unions are all based in the Washington DC area. I am from a different state, about 150 miles away from Washinton DC. (I am actually an expat right now, but I have an official US address in the area I'm from.)

It doesn't seem that these credit unions are geofenced at all, and none of them require military or government affiliation.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 59 of 67
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Re: National credit unions besides Navy & Penfed that offer pre-approvals credit card list.

Alliant is a big national CU that lets anybody join, but they don't have a prequalify page. They did start offering me email preapprovals pretty quickly once I joined. It is a SP to join and they have a pretty decent app. They offer a 2.5% cash back card (with a $99 AF) and a 2% flat CB card with no AF, so they have a nice card lineup. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 60 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.