cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy BT offer: $0 BT fee, 0% for 12 months --where's the catch?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Navy BT offer: $0 BT fee, 0% for 12 months --where's the catch?

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts/balanceTransferOffer.php

-- well, other than having to have good enough credit to qualify for it. Smiley Very Happy

Has anyone bitten on this yet? It looks to me like they're losing money. I suppose they're hoping that enough people won't pay it off in 12 months that they'll get some of that "ranging between 7.99% APR and 18% APR" luv.

If this is up and up, I might finally break down and apply, after being a member for well over a year.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Navy BT offer: $0 BT fee, 0% for 12 months --where's the catch?

PenFed got the same special running on all of its cards.

Message 2 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@DI wrote:

A-ha! Maybe I ought to start reading my e-mails more closely. If so, that would save me an inq and yet another CC to keep track of.

That's pretty cool if PenFed and Navy compete with offers this way.

eta: Hmmm, just checked PenFed, and all I see is 4.99% APR for life with $0 BT fee. Same offer whether I'm logged in or not. They must love you more than they love me!

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/creditCards/balanceTransfer.asp

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 38
DI
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@DI wrote:

A-ha! Maybe I ought to start reading my e-mails more closely. If so, that would save me an inq and yet another CC to keep track of.

That's pretty cool if PenFed and Navy compete with offers this way.

Hurry up because there's a deadline. 
Message 4 of 38
DI
Super Contributor

But PenFed got the better deal. You can get  0%APR and no transfer fee for the life of the balance.  How about that?!!

Message 5 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just edited my reply above. When I looked, all I saw was 4.99% APR for life of the BT, not $0. Smiley Sad

Maybe it's in an e-mail somewhere. I get way too many e-mails these days to keep track of everything. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 38
DI
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I just edited my reply above. When I looked, all I saw was 4.99% APR for life of the BT, not $0. Smiley Sad

Maybe it's in an e-mail somewhere. I get way too many e-mails these days to keep track of everything. Smiley Tongue

They sent out an email a few days ago. 

Message 7 of 38
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

But PenFed got the better deal. You can get  0%APR and no transfer fee for the life of the balance.  How about that?!!

Do any of these offers require a hard pull?  I don't have any balances to transfer, but just curious on how these work...

Message 8 of 38
DI
Super Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@DI wrote:

Do any of these offers require a hard pull?  I don't have any balances to transfer, but just curious on how these work...

The email was sent to existing cardholders.  I doubt very seriously it requires a hard pull.  I wish I save the email.  I have no balance to transfer to either.  But I could have taken the money and put it in my savings account if they had the same deal for cash advances. 

Message 9 of 38
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I've already used it once.  No, it doesn't require a pull.  No, it doesn't have a fee...and after the 12 months if you still have a balance the APR will be equal to your cash advance rate (normal +2%, I believe). 

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.