Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal CU credit cards

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Navy Federal CU credit cards

I would like to get a discussion going about all the Navy Federal CU credit cards available. There are mixed reviews on all of them and I have heard a lot of the Flagship vs GoRewards. NFCU is becoming more and more popular and they also have great initial CL's. I will be looking at their cards shortly and will take some time to decide.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal CU credit cards

If you travel, the flagship is a great card and also has a high MAX limit ($80K i beleive). The GO and the Cash max out at $50K one is point and the other is cashback

Flagship has no foreign transaction fees and the rest do

Flagship has a $49 AF ther rest are no AF cards

I beleive the flagship has an EMV chip version.

Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

If you travel, the flagship is a great card and also has a high MAX limit ($80K i beleive). The GO and the Cash max out at $50K one is point and the other is cashback

Couldn't say it better myself!

Basically if you plan to put a good amount of money on a card you can't really beat Flagship and if in the end you REALLY feel like cash vs. statement credit back to pay for travel related expenses you can get cash at the same rate as the cash rebate Navy Card so you my as well take Flagship! My partner and I use the Flagship as our go to card for everything non Grocery/Gas/Costco.

Message 3 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

Their reward structure is not hte best out there but you can;t beat their low APR's and sometimes high initial CL's Smiley Happy

Their customer service is really good in my experience.

Message 4 of 15
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

The goRewards also has no foreign exchange fees and no annual fee.

[PDF] https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/credit-debit/NFCU_573CC_NFO.pdf

NFCU Credit Card Disclosure - Fees.png

Message 5 of 15
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Another vote for Flagship. Two points per dollar means you get the travel rewards faster plus the Visa Signature perks. GoRewards is 1 to 1. (Not sure if goRewards offers Signature). Main draw for goRewards is more choices for redemption (over cashRewards cash back only) without the annual fee of the Flagship and no FTF.

One thing I have noticed about NFCU is that they will let you PC without the drama and you get to keep the same account number. So if you find over time you want to change your card type as you usage changes, NFCU will be helpful about it. You will lose points earned changing from one card to the other, however.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 6 of 15
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@sweettea wrote:
Another vote for Flagship. Two points per dollar means you get the travel rewards faster plus the Visa Signature perks. GoRewards is 1 to 1. (Not sure if goRewards offers Signature). Main draw for goRewards is more choices for redemption (over cashRewards cash back only) without the annual fee of the Flagship and no FTF.

One thing I have noticed about NFCU is that they will let you PC without the drama and you get to keep the same account number. So if you find over time you want to change your card type as you usage changes, NFCU will be helpful about it. You will lose points earned changing from one card to the other, however.

You get to keep the same account number if it's Visa to Visa or MasterCard to MasterCard. The Flagship and cashRewards are only available as a Visa.

Message 7 of 15
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I PC'd my nRewards to goRewards specifically because goRewards does not charge foreign transaction fees. I travel int'l four to five times a year. AND, i've discovered a l'ill flaw in member mall which i'm not going to discuss here for fear it gets shut down. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 15
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

I PC'd my nRewards to goRewards specifically because goRewards does not charge foreign transaction fees. I travel int'l four to five times a year. AND, i've discovered a l'ill flaw in member mall which i'm not going to discuss here for fear it gets shut down. Smiley Tongue

IMO, the Flagship 2:1 compared to 1:1 for the go rewards makes it the better card. If you have relatively decent spend, you will obliterate the $49 AF in rewards in just one month. I haven't tried out the Visa sig concierge but I saw an advanced screening of Iron Man 3 FOC thanks to the flagship! 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 15
USF813
Frequent Contributor

There are other ways to beat even a 2:1 ratio. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.