Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Card limit combination DENIED + Reallocation DPs

tag
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Navy Federal Credit Card limit combination DENIED + Reallocation DPs

Hi all.  On Monday, I put in a request to move my cashRewards limit over to my More Rewards card and close out the cashRewards card.  They told me it should take a few business days.  Called in today and found out that my request was denied.  "They are cracking down on this practice, and it is no longer an option" is what the rep told me after contacting her supervisor.  

Anyone else encounter this recently?   Its not a big deal, I was just trying to do some "spring cleaning" and get rid of cards that were redundant in my lineup.  

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Card limit combination DENIED

@rostrow416 wrote:

Hi all.  On Monday, I put in a request to move my cashRewards limit over to my More Rewards card and close out the cashRewards card.  They told me it should take a few business days.  Called in today and found out that my request was denied.  "They are cracking down on this practice, and it is no longer an option" is what the rep told me after contacting her supervisor.  

Anyone else encounter this recently?   Its not a big deal, I was just trying to do some "spring cleaning" and get rid of cards that were redundant in my lineup.  

Hey, sorry to hear this news.  By chance are either of the cards older than a month but younger than 1 year old? I've heard that you can only combine them within the first 30 days.  After 30 days I've heard  you have to wait until both cards are 1 year old to do this. 

Message 2 of 58
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Hey, sorry to hear this news.  By chance are either of the cards older than a month but younger than 1 year old? I've heard that you can only combine them within the first 30 days.  After 30 days I've heard  you have to wait until both cards are 1 year old to do this. 

10 months & 7 months.  Well I guess I will see.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 3 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I was able to do this online at the end of January, closing my More Rewards and moving the limit to Flagship.  Other than stating that I would not be eligible for a CLI for 6 months, no issues.  My card was almost 2 years old though, and as just mentioned there have been murmurs of issues if the card isn't a year old - if that's the case.  Did you request this via the CLI message option on the card you wanted to increase or did you call in originally?

Message 4 of 58
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@rostrow416 wrote:

10 months & 7 months.  Well I guess I will see.

Oh ok, so more than likely that's the issue.  I believe once both cards are 1 year old you'll be able to complete this process. 

Message 5 of 58
ntx
Regular Contributor

Oh ok, so more than likely that's the issue.  I believe once both cards are 1 year old you'll be able to complete this process. 

Another confirmation - I just went through this also. I sent a secure message to move my limit and close the card. It took a week for a reply, which told me I had to call in for that. So I called in last Wednesday, and the rep said it would be 3-5 business days, and to call back after that if I hadn't heard from them or seen my limit change. 

So I called them yesterday, and the rep said both cards had to be at least a year old to reallocate limits. 

Message 6 of 58
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@ntx wrote:

Another confirmation - I just went through this also. I sent a secure message to move my limit and close the card. It took a week for a reply, which told me I had to call in for that. So I called in last Wednesday, and the rep said it would be 3-5 business days, and to call back after that if I hadn't heard from them or seen my limit change. 

So I called them yesterday, and the rep said both cards had to be at least a year old to reallocate limits. 

Is that to reallocate and close one?  Or just any reallocation in general?

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 7 of 58
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

It always amazes me to read a story with similar circumstances.

After a post about it elsewhere on MyFico, I sent in a secure message. Took them a week to reply, and the message told me to call in.  Did that yesterday. Told 3-5 days and will call back.

For DP purposes, my 3 cards, and my request was:

1. Flagship $45k -> request to reallocate $15k from #2 below to make $60k
  2. Plat $24.3k - request to reallocate and close
  3. Plat $10.7k -> request to reallocate $9.3k from #2 above to make $20k

I am assuming, from previous conversations, that they'll be able to move the $15k to the flagship but not the $9.3k to the older platinum, as the older Platinum had a CLI within the past 6 months.

None of my three cards are less than a year old, so I'll provide another data point when I hear back.

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 8 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@brk1971 wrote:

After a post about it elsewhere on MyFico, I sent in a secure message. Took them a week to reply, and the message told me to call in.  Did that yesterday. Told 3-5 days and will call back.

I am assuming, from previous conversations, that they'll be able to move the $15k to the flagship but not the $9.3k to the older platinum, as the older Platinum had a CLI within the past 6 months.

None of my three cards are less than a year old, so I'll provide another data point when I hear back.

I had a $4k SP CLI on my Flagship in November before moving the $29k from my More Rewards to it and closing that card in January; so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem - the 6 month CLI thing just seems to be after the reallocation and it was stated that would be the case in the secure message they sent to me to get my confirmation that that's what I wanted to do.

Message 9 of 58
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@brk1971 wrote:

I had a $4k SP CLI on my Flagship in November before moving the $29k from my More Rewards to it and closing that card in January; so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem - the 6 month CLI thing just seems to be after the reallocation and it was stated that would be the case in the secure message they sent to me to get my confirmation that that's what I wanted to do.

Good info - I'm already at the max unsecured, so for me CLI are no longer a thing with NFCU, but this could mean that it goes through without a hitch.  We'll see by Monday-ish.

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.