Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Credit Union

Are all of their cards equal credit requirements or are one or two easier to be approved for?

16 REPLIES 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union

It's best to apply for Platinum, Cash Rewards, or More first. Navy generally approves first card with low limit. A 1k is not uncommon. Some get more.

The Flagship has an minimum SL of 5k, so if you don't meet internal criteria, it's a denial. This should be second, or third card.

Message 2 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

It's best to apply for Platinum, Cash Rewards, or More first. Navy generally approves first card with low limit. A 1k is not uncommon. Some get more.

The Flagship has an minimum SL of 5k, so if you don't meet internal criteria, it's a denial. This should be second, or third card.

Pretty much sums it up. I can't decide personally for me what my second app should be - More or Flagship.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 17
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I'm looking to leave NASA FCU and transition to NFCU. I have a NASA FCU Platinum Advantage Rewards card with a $20k limit. Would the Flagship be an equivalent to the NASA FCU card I mentioned? Does everybody get denied a Flagship as their first NFCU card? I expect my credit profile to be pretty good before applying.

Message 4 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I'm looking to leave NASA FCU and transition to NFCU. I have a NASA FCU Platinum Advantage Rewards card with a $20k limit. Would the Flagship be an equivalent to the NASA FCU card I mentioned? Does everybody get denied a Flagship as their first NFCU card? I expect my credit profile to be pretty good before applying.

My understanding , FS is a great card to the right person even with an AF. Plenty of people are rejected upon first try as it isnt really recommended as a first card with Navy. However, if you feel your credit is strong enough and can support the minimum $5k tradeline, it can be worth the risk with your pull. There are some who do get it on first try. Just more rare by dps we've seen. 

Message 5 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't see this, or I would've answered, but @AverageJoesCredit beat me and gave best answer. 
Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

My understanding , FS is a great card to the right person even with an AF. Plenty of people are rejected upon first try as it isnt really recommended as a first card with Navy. However, if you feel your credit is strong enough and can support the minimum $5k tradeline, it can be worth the risk with your pull. There are some who do get it on first try. Just more rare by dps we've seen. 

I like the More Rewards card. WE do a lot of food delivery and grocery. Although most of our spend for grocery is on AMEX BCP. 

Message 7 of 17
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

My credit still stinks to you know where,  but nfcu gave me a 5100 limit on my first card, but have been a member for 2 years now. So give it a try!

Message 8 of 17
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

I'm one of those folks who upon first joining NFCU, applied for the Flagship as my first Navy product. I was approved for a 10k limit, but none the less approved. It grew once the relationship and payment history was established, so no complaints on that. It's definitely a YMMV situation as to which card you feel comfortable going for, but as someone here told me at that time when I was applying, go for what you feel you'll use/need/want to have *if your portfolio aligns well with that*.

Message 9 of 17
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

Flagship comes in at a signature approval 5k; few get this on first approval. 

More rewards is great for everyday spend. Its on the Amex network, so it gets some Amex benefits ie early notice of entertainment tickets, Military rate for Hilton stays via portal, and up to 25% off Delta flights via portal.

If denied Flagship, see if the same HP can be used for another product.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.