Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards sign-up bonus question

tag
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards sign-up bonus question

I've been looking at the Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards for awhile now, and as many of you know, they recently (July 1st) started offering the sweet SUB of 40,000 bonus points (a $400 value) when you spend $3,000 within 90 days of opening an account.

Well, I was just approved for the U.S. Bank Altitutde Go card, which I wanted (and was already at 1/12, so I decided to get this card first and the Flagship next).  I'll most likely hit the $1k sign-up bonus by mid-September, a month from now.  After that, I was planning on then applying for the Flagship and have 3 months - until mid-December - to hit that SUB.

But, the 40,000 bonus points expires August 31st.

My question is, do they only do the 40,000 once a year, or do you think they'll extend it past August 31st?  Anyone know from experience?

I plan on traveling in November and December, and would love the TSA pre-check for me (and an authorized user I'll put on the account) with this card, but I don't want to grab it if the sweet SUB will be lower (like it was previous to July, just free Amazon prime - which I alreadh have).

Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards sign-up bonus question

They could extend it longer, I've seen them extend other SUBs, so there's certainly a chance.

I think they will, it's only ran about 3 months, but we'll see.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@portlandmusician wrote:

My question is, do they only do the 40,000 once a year, or do you think they'll extend it past August 31st?  Anyone know from experience?

From my understanding NFCU does a (increased?) SUB every year. Public 30k, targetted/public 40k and 50k from last year as well. It just depends on how much you want the signup bonus now or if you want to wait til the next time NFCU does it

If you have bills you can prepay like cable/satellite, cellphone, insurance, etc. that might help you get the SUBs for both cards if you want to do that

Message 3 of 10
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

Looks like they did extend it, sort of.  Until November 1st, with free prime + 40k bonus points.  But, instead of a $3k spend in 90 days, it's a $4k spend in 90 days.  I guess if I go for it, I'll just have to pre-pay some utilities...

Message 4 of 10
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal Flagship Rewards Visa application

On Sunday I apped for Navy Federal's Flagship Rewards card.  

I got a message telling me I'd get a response in 24 hours and my application was being reviewed.  I then got an email saying I would hear something in 24-48 hours.

Well, yesterday I got a rejection letter.  They're mailing me a letter to tell me why I was declined.

My Experian Fico 8 is 823, My Equifax Fico 9 is 816, and my VantageScore 3.0 TransUnion is 795 (was 799 before the hard inquiry on the app).

I have the Visa Platinum at $9k (it was $7k, but they auto CLI me in August to $9k) and my Amex More Rewards is $25k (starting limit).  I have been a member with them since March 2020.  I have two money markets, a savings account, and a checking account with them as well.

I may have hit my internal limit, but I reconned anyway.  We shall see...

Message 5 of 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Flagship Rewards Visa application

Good luck on that recon!  Unless I'm missing some valuable DP, I would think at a minimum, approving the card with the minimum $5K SL would be in order based on everything you've stated!

"Maybe" that CLI in August reset your clock so approving something 30 days later is a problem.  

Message 6 of 10
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Good Luck on card.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 7 of 10
slickwidit
Established Contributor

you might be at your internal max with Navy. I remember something similar happened to me within about the same time frame as you. best advise is to keep building the relationship and they will expand more to you.

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 8 of 10
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about your denial.

NFCU can be a bit strange for the those in the higher group of Fico scores.  I believe a fellow MF that had a great profile (similar to yours it sounds like), but was also denied for a NFCU card a few months back... perhaps the Flagship as well.  Its weird because those like me get treated very well for having 730-750 scores and floating a large balance on their 0% Platinum at the same time.  Very strange.

Good luck with the recon!

Message 9 of 10
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

@cashorcharge ""Maybe" that CLI in August reset your clock so approving something 30 days later is a problem." -- I was wondering that myself.  If the $2k auto CLI put me in either "maxed out for now at Navy" or "No new card, you just got a CLI."  Sucks, 'cause I wanted that TSA pre-check.  Oh well.  I'll wait for it to have a nice SUB again next year and try again.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.