Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal = best decision I've made!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal = best decision I've made!

Long story short: I'm military, have horrible credit history due to wreckless spending and credit inquiry sprees. Recently my wife and I decided to trade in our jeep patriot. we had originally traded in a nissan armada and rolled over about 6k in neg. equity. to get the jeep. ended up rolling over 9k in neg. from the jeep to the new loan (2013 F150 XLT).

we first looked at a Chevy Sonic for 18.5k but couldn't get approved without $6000 downpayment due to the bank not wanting to finance more than 120% of the new purchase cost. that was when our salesman suggested a truck that had crazy amounts of rebates and discounts for military personnel that would basically eat up most of the negative equity.

told the salesman what we wanted to keep our payments at and he ran some numbers and got us within $40 of where we wanted. We ended up not going with that dealer but instead went to another dealership with quotes and explained our situation and they said that they could do even better with rebates and discounts to make our negative equity pretty much disappear to help us get out of the equity situation altogether. we ended up saying ok and they ran our credit and we were approved for a $40k loan with 6.5% interest rate through Navy Federal! (i know 6.5 is still really high but believe it or not it's one of the lowest rates we've ever had on an auto loan and it's almost double the financed amount of any other auto loan we've had)

So needless to say Navy Federal came through for us in the auto loan dept.

THEN....

We decided to apply for a credit card (goRewards Visa with my wife as an authorized user and not a co applicant) for balance transfer purposes because we had heard about their decent interest rates and amounts which meant we could transfer the balances and close our outrageously high rate cards.

BAM, approved. Highest interest rate i think they have at prime plus 13.74% but it's still our lowest interest rate card and one of our highest limit. Limit of $4500 Smiley Happy

Also applied for the OD Line of Credit in case of emergencies and approved.

Navy Federal is definitely going to keep my business for years to come!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal = best decision I've made!

Congrats, nice limit to start with

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 2 of 21
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Congrats to you big timeSmiley Happy Welcome to the forum and welcome to the nfcu family

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you! Very excited that NFCU seems to be so good to their customers
Message 4 of 21
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That's great, Congrats! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!! Nfcu seems to be amazing w this stuff!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 21
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Congrats!! So jealous of NFCU members! Both my parents were honorably discharged so i dont qualify...Smiley Sad

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 7 of 21
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Cool ! - Keep those cards working and 'never be late' - don't temp your limits and Navy will have you with 5 figure limits in no time!

Congrats!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 8 of 21
Rambler88

First of all from one fellow bro in arms to another , Thank you for what have done and continue to. Also as with the other comments, congrats and welcome to NFCU family
Message 9 of 21
Bigdaddy69
New Contributor

mrslane713 wrote:

Long story short: I'm military, have horrible credit history due to wreckless spending and credit inquiry sprees. Recently my wife and I decided to trade in our jeep patriot. we had originally traded in a nissan armada and rolled over about 6k in neg. equity. to get the jeep. ended up rolling over 9k in neg. from the jeep to the new loan (2013 F150 XLT).

we first looked at a Chevy Sonic for 18.5k but couldn't get approved without $6000 downpayment due to the bank not wanting to finance more than 120% of the new purchase cost. that was when our salesman suggested a truck that had crazy amounts of rebates and discounts for military personnel that would basically eat up most of the negative equity.

told the salesman what we wanted to keep our payments at and he ran some numbers and got us within $40 of where we wanted. We ended up not going with that dealer but instead went to another dealership with quotes and explained our situation and they said that they could do even better with rebates and discounts to make our negative equity pretty much disappear to help us get out of the equity situation altogether. we ended up saying ok and they ran our credit and we were approved for a $40k loan with 6.5% interest rate through Navy Federal! (i know 6.5 is still really high but believe it or not it's one of the lowest rates we've ever had on an auto loan and it's almost double the financed amount of any other auto loan we've had)

So needless to say Navy Federal came through for us in the auto loan dept.

THEN....

We decided to apply for a credit card (goRewards Visa with my wife as an authorized user and not a co applicant) for balance transfer purposes because we had heard about their decent interest rates and amounts which meant we could transfer the balances and close our outrageously high rate cards.

BAM, approved. Highest interest rate i think they have at prime plus 13.74% but it's still our lowest interest rate card and one of our highest limit. Limit of $4500 Smiley Happy

Also applied for the OD Line of Credit in case of emergencies and approved.

Navy Federal is definitely going to keep my business for years to come!

@MRSlane713

If I may ask, what was your credit score at the time of approval?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.