Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal cards

tag
Getty59
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal cards

Can anyone please tell me the so to speak ranking of nfcu cards? 

NFCU More Rewards: $23,100

NFCU Cash Rewards: 25,000

Capital One Venture: $10,250
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal cc cards

@Getty59 wrote:

It would depend on what your spend is like and what you're looking for in a card.  If you can elaborate more on what your high monthly spend categories are, how you would want to use a new card, and other card preferences you might have, that would help us give you a better answer.

Message 2 of 33
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Getty59 wrote:

Flagship is on top

More Rewards is next

Cash Rewards and Go Rewards are mid level

Platinum

nRewards is secured, so its bottom list.

Is this what you meant? Honestly, they are all good cards and it just depends on what each member is looking for that works best for them.

Message 3 of 33
Getty59
Regular Contributor

Bears that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the quick responses. 

Message 4 of 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Getty59 wrote:

There are no rankings, whatever card suits your current needs and spend will be your choice not someone elses. 

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Getty59 wrote:

There are no rankings, whatever card suits your current needs and spend will be your choice not someone elses. 

Indeed. Flagship and Go would be at the bottom of my list, for example. 

1) cashRewards

2) More Rewards

3) Platinum

4) Flagship

5) Go Rewards

Swap 1 and 2 if I didn't already have 3% covered on those categories elsewhere. 

Message 6 of 33
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Agree with a lot of the other advice above that the answer depends, @Getty59 .

First, do you mean the ranking of cards in terms of how Navy's underwriting approves them??

The answer to that is completely different from the ranking of how "valuable" they could be to a consumer.

From Navy's underwriting department, the easiest card to get is the nRewards Secured, of course. And the most difficult card is the Flagship Rewards, for which Navy had denied many new members on their first card application.  Between the others, the Platinum, Cash Rewards, Go Rewards, and More Rewards all have similar underwriting, so any of those four could be a good choice depending on what other cards someone already carries and what their priorities are for future cards.

In my case, I chose the Platinum over the other cards since I wanted the ultra-low 5.99% APR to have for emergencies and balance transfers "just-in-case" I needed it.   I didn't need (another) 1.5% card and I already had the 3% (or even better) covered with other cards on gas, restaurants, transit, groceries, and travel.    To me, the Rewards on Navy's cards are good but nothing that isn't available somewhere else.  But that 5.99% APR on Platinum for both purchases and balance transfers is pretty rare but especially on a card with no BT fee, no Cash Advance Fee, and no AF.

If you don't already have a good flat-rate card that pays at least 1.5%, I'd recommend the Cash Rewards.  A good uncapped and uncategorized card is always helpful.  In my opinion, between the Go Rewards and More Rewards, the More Rewards is more valuable since the points are all worth 1 ccp and More Rewards covers more categories at a higher rate. 

The Flagship Rewards is a little unique in that it's the only card NFCU allows to exceed an $50K credit limit, so if your goal is high limits, the FSR is most valuable.  It also has in the past had the highest SUB which (MAY) come back this year.  It was worth 50K points worth $500, effectively paying the $49 AF for ten years.  (The current SUB is free Amazon Prime, worth a fraction of that amount.)  If you don't have a 2% or better card yet, the FSR can be a good choice depending on your spending and lifestyle.  If you can take advantage of the TSA Global Entry reimbursement, that's worth $100/4 years or $25 a year, lowering the effective AF from $49 to $24.  If you travel, the FSR includes some basic travel protections including rental car CDW, Travel Accident Insurance, and Travel and Emergency Assistance.   Absent the SUB and the TSA Global Entry reimbursement, you might be better off long-term on rewards with a no-AF 2% or better card like Citi DC, PPMC, or PenFed PCR combined with a no-AF 3% travel card like Wells Fargo Propel. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 33
rostrow416
Established Contributor

There are only really 3 tiers for Navy cards

Top - Flagship

Middle - cashReward, more rewards, go rewards, and platinum

Lower - secured

That is based on the underwriting criteria.  Choosing between the bulk of their cards is really just choosing which benefit you prefer.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 8 of 33
Getty59
Regular Contributor

was just curious as I became a member today and apped for the more rewards card. I was approved for 3k but after I wondered if I got a better card then some of the others. I know the FS card is at the top and will wait until 91 days.

Message 9 of 33
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your More Rewards Amx. Patients will reward you with a high CLI in 91 days. After your 91 days call to get a CLI.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.