Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal nrewards card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal nrewards card

I just became a member of navy federal and would like to apply for my 1st credit card to help rebuild my credit, Ive heard navy federal is a very good bank for doing just that, my credit score is 580-590. Ive done research on the nrewards card but cant find anything about it needing a deposit like a secured card. Does this card require one? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal nrewards card

If its a secured card i believe it does. Though i may stand corrected. With Navy you never know , i would maybe try for an unsecured one first and if that fails go for the secured. Some have been sucessful at your score.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on joining NavySmiley Happy
Message 2 of 14
Jimp2323
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just became a member of navy federal and would like to apply for my 1st credit card to help rebuild my credit, Ive heard navy federal is a very good bank for doing just that, my credit score is 580-590. Ive done research on the nrewards card but cant find anything about it needing a deposit like a secured card. Does this card require one? 

It requires a deposit of at least 500.00.  I have seen reports of it graduating to unsecured in under a year. 

However, before apping for a secured nrewards I would check to see if I could qualify for an unsecured card.  There are numerous accounts of people being approved by Navy with scores similar to yours--or even lower, such as myself.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try for the cash rewards I had a lower score and got approved
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you everyone for the suggestions, I got denied for a very small loan so hopefully it didn't ruin my chances for a navy federal card.
Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

May not, loans is a different department than credit cards.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know, if I have to settle with a secured card I will but I prefer a unsecured.
Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good luck! The great thing about getting any card with Navy is you know the future of it eill be generous, more so than most lendersSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I've heard that they are very understanding and generous with the credit cards. My friend referred me to them because they have helped her alot and she knows they will do the same for me. Thanks to my sister's service she was able to be my sponsor so I can get a account. Now I'm just crossing my fingers.
Message 9 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thats great. Many thanks to your sister for her serviceSmiley Happy. When i got in, they approved me only for $500 on the Platinum card. After about 4 months, they increased me to 5k and approved me for another card at 6k Smiley Happy, all on a average income, so Navy does make it happenSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.