cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal product change Cashrewards to Flagship

tag
aramosjr

Re: Navy Federal product change Cashrewards to Flagship

I called NFCU four times to do a product upgrade from the Cash Rewards to the Flagship and three times, I was told that I need to have the account open for a year.  My Cash Reward Visa has been up for eight months.   On the fourth call to product change, the NFCU rep told me that since my interest would go up they could not product change me....Not sure how I get a rep that will actually do the product change. 

Message 11 of 21
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

@aramosjr wrote:

I called NFCU four times to do a product upgrade from the Cash Rewards to the Flagship and three times, I was told that I need to have the account open for a year.  My Cash Reward Visa has been up for eight months.   On the fourth call to product change, the NFCU rep told me that since my interest would go up they could not product change me....Not sure how I get a rep that will actually do the product change. 

It's federal law.  Due to predatory tactics by other issuers, the feds passed a law that during the first year nothing can be done to that credit card that would increase your cost, so its the annual fee and and the apr increase that is blocking this.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 12 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@aramosjr wrote:

Right so it's not so much cause of the interest rate increase @aramosjr. Unfortunately you're going to have to wait the full year for a PC to the Flagship due to federal law, as mentioned above. Specifically, due to the CARD act which prevents AF increases in the first year, which of course this would count as an AF increase since you're going from a $0 AF on the cashRewards to a $49 AF on the Flagship. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 13 of 21
shane1978
Contributor

Off hand, what are the perks of the flagship? I'm assuming it gets a higher limit ceiling.

Message 14 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@shane1978 wrote:

Off hand, what are the perks of the flagship? I'm assuming it gets a higher limit ceiling.

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/offers/flagship-visa-signature.html

Message 15 of 21
freshstart26
Valued Member

I started out with a secured card at the end of 2019. It graduated to Cash Rewards 7 months later. 

Message 16 of 21
freshstart26
Valued Member

Thank you! I started out with a secured card at the end of 2019. It graduated to Cash Rewards 7 months later. 

Message 17 of 21
freshstart26
Valued Member

No, you do not get the signup bonus when you do a product change.

Message 18 of 21
PlatinumCredit
Contributor

Congratulations on your product change!!

Starting Score: 679
Current Score: 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 21
freshstart26
Valued Member

Hi! I posted the changes whenever they happened. I was approved for the secured card fall of 2019. I think I secured it with $200 or $250.  The card graduated seven months later. They gave me a $2,000 credit line. Then the next increase was $3,500. Then the next one was $5,000. Then last month they increased it to $7,000. I changed to Flagship after that increase. I don't have the exact dates of each increase but check my past posts. I'm pretty sure I posted about each increase.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.