Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Maximum Unsecured Credit Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Maximum Unsecured Credit Limit

Hey everyone, long time no post. Earlier this year, I apped for my first Navy card, Cash Rewards, and was approved with $500 starting limit. Waited 91/3 and then apped for the Flagship and got instant approval for $25,000 SL. They also tripled my limit on the Cash Rewards to $1500. After 91/3 from the Flagship I hit the CLI button and asked for an increase to $35,000. After about 2 days, they increased the limit on that card to $28,000. Then, on a lark, I hit the prequal button and was approved for everything. So I apped for Go Rewards and got the instant approval with $3100 SL. I know I can only have 3 Navy cards. I'm good with that. I thought the max total aggregate limits Navy will extend is $80,000. However, after getting the CLI for less than I asked on the Flagship, I received a letter saying the reason they didn't approve the whole request is that I have "reached Navy Federal's maximum unsecured credit limit." Of course, as noted above, I got the third card with the $3100 SL. So, have I reached some max limit on just the Flagship? Is that max for now and later with more history it will go up? Is it income based? In case it matters, the letter says they pulled EQ and my FICO is 702. My income is $155K. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Maximum Unsecured Credit Limit

Max unsecured limit on NFCU Flagship is $80K

or if you have 2-3 cards? max aggregate is still $80K

If you have less than $80K across all your cards, and Navy is telling you "Max unsecured limit" ?

Then that is the max they are willing to grant you at this time.

I would definitely wait 6 months before asking more. .. JMHO

Message 2 of 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

It's just the max for now.  It'll go up in time.

Wait six months, and ask again!

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I'd let them age. Only at the ceiling for now. Also, CLI are capped at max 4k for the moment.

Message 4 of 5
joltdude
Senior Contributor

As previous posters have said, if its under 80K total exposure (for cards), its because they want to get to know you a bit more... plus someone was mentioning they are limiting CLIs to 5K or so right now... You hit your internal limit... it will increase over time... Navy is a very relationship oriented CU IMHO....

-J

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.