Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NavyFed Platinum / weird scenario / need advice

tag
SeeSaw
Valued Member

NavyFed Platinum / weird scenario / need advice

This past Feburary, I applied for and was approved for the NavyFed platinum card. My plan was to do a $2200 balance transfer from my Barclays Arrival Plus card in preperation for international travel next month. This card has been discontinued and I'm not sure if i will be able to keep it after it expires at the end of the year, but I digress. 

I "incorrectly" assumed, based on the data points, that I would receive a SL around $10K+. I was only approved for $2500. Now i have a new card with 89% utilization that is starting to impact my scores. I requested a SL reconsideration which resulted in a 2nd hard pull and ultimate denial. I can pay off the new card, but that would defeat the purpose of getting it for the 0% balance transfer apr for (I can't remember the terms). Also, I could have simply paid off the Barclays balance and saved myself 2 hard inquiries and this high utilization card.

I'm curious if this new, high utilization card will be ok in the short term or should I just cut my losses and pay off the balance???

In the garden until July 2022
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: NavyFed Platinum / weird scenario / need advice

Don't feel bad. i had plans to do sort of the same thing but my platinum was approved only with 1k. my cr has a cl of 9700 so i asked navy if i could reallocate 4700 from the cash rewards to the platinum and they said no because the cash rewards is less than 12 months old. so now i have a useless platinum with a zero bt offer and only 1k sl.

i have a discover with a zero bt on it for 1600 and it ends in sept, i was hoping to bt a large chunk of it to the plat but that plan sunk

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 26
SeeSaw
Valued Member

Yeah. That was a disappointing.

I tried to do a product change but the said I couldn't do it because my interest rate would change from 17.99 to 18, lol. So I guess I'll just roll with it. I'm gardening anyway so, at this moment, it's not life or death 

Message 3 of 26
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your NFCU Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 4 of 26
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Wonderful! Congratulations on your NOV 22 CLI.jpg Platinum Card APPROVAL!!

Message 5 of 26
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!  Sorry to hear the limit wasn't what you were hoping for and the issues it's caused with your balance transfer and utilization. 

If you don't have any major plans to apply for other things right now you should be ok just taking your time to pay down this balance transfer. Utilization has no memory. The points you lose on your FICO scores for having 89% utilization should be given back to you as you continue to pay the balance down.  Best wishes to you with whatever you decide to do! 

Message 6 of 26
SeeSaw
Valued Member

Thanks. That's the advice i needed. I'm gardening until the end of the year so I will just chip away at it over the next few months while gardening.

Message 7 of 26
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@SeeSaw wrote:

Yeah. That was a disappointing.

I tried to do a product change but the said I couldn't do it because my interest rate would change from 17.99 to 18, lol. So I guess I'll just roll with it. I'm gardening anyway so, at this moment, it's not life or death 

Dont forget that first navy cli might be in 91/3 and every 6 months after. if you get decent cli's it will help your util. i plan to try and grow that 1k baby platinum into an adult via cli's.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 26
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@SeeSaw wrote:

Thanks. That's the advice i needed. I'm gardening until the end of the year so I will just chip away at it over the next few months while gardening.

You answered your question, you're gardening for now.  Your score is only good to take on additional debt, if you're not looking to get another card (debt) it doesn't matter what CU is at and what that does to your score.  Once you pay it down/off the scores rebound next cycle but do it in a timeframe that benefits you by obtaining that card for the transfer of balance- Congrats!

Message 9 of 26
SeeSaw
Valued Member

Sounds great. I appreciate that info. I didn't think about it that way. I also didn't want to have any of my current banks freaking out because my scores were trending down. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.