Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice before App

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice before App

You might want to garden these for awhile.  Too many inquiries could hurt you.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would recomend waiting at least 6 to 8 months. Ask for CLI's on the GE backed cards every 4 months, and the Discover card at 6 months. In a month  or so hopefully your Capone will get its one and only Auto-CLI unless its secured.  For the Zync wait till December so you still get 2012 as your membership year. 

Some times its worse to get an approval with a terrible CL than get denied. With your current limits showing you would be stuck with a 1k CL or less and you would need to burn a HP just see if you can get a CLI to where you would of been if you waited a few more months.  Wait 8 months your average CL could easily be over 1k and your highest limit could be over 2k that Chase or BoA could possibly match. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 12 of 15
ssghandless
Contributor

Aging the accounts is a gret idea to be honest. I understand the timelines you are looking at but you might have to push them back. CAP1 will increase her limit to at least $500, maybe $750. Ask them they will tell you to wait 6 months before each increase. Discover was great CL to begin with and I will use tht card and make sure you keep that down under 10% util. Walmart and JCP I would not touch. I would look towards an AMEX or something that render a bigger limit. Of course everyon ehas thier opinions on what card to go for next but it depends on your spending habits and what rewards you are looking for. Good luck.

4/5/12 TU-635 Ex-634 Eq-646 (Kroll Fact. Home loan)
9/8/10 TU-654 Ex-627 Eq-638
8/1/10 TU-629 Ex-627 Eq-638

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: 635
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am building my good credit history with help of this forum. You all established members are doing great help.

Now I want to apply for 3 cards for my wife and I beleive her credit file is ready to pull the trigger. Please review following before I apply.

Following is summary with utilization 2% and always PIF. Inqueries 2-3 with each CRB.

Credit Scores : In range of 710-720

AU on my Cap1 - CL 750 - Age 10 Month

Cap1 - CL 300 - Age 6 Month

Discover More - CL 1500 - Age 2 Month

JCP GE - CL 600 - Age 3 Month

Walmart - CL 300 - Age 2 Month

Want to Apply for Following Cards in order:

Amex Zync (If success then BCE also)

BoA Cash Rewards

Amazon Chase

All 3 with pull from EQ/EX so little worried about if my order of app is correct or not. I am sure about Zync and Amazon but doubt BoA will approve or not.

I agree with everyone else. She needs to let her accts age before apping for anything else. WM and JCP can try for CLIs every 4 mos, which will also help to show higher CLs when she apps later on.

If she did get Zync, I think it would be with a $500 hard limit. No way B of A or Chase will approve her at this point. They look at more than just FICO. She has a new, thin credit file. It takes time to build credit.

You might want to call some local CUs and talk with their loan officers, and see if someone might work with her. They can be very helpful; however, some are conservative, so you might need to call around.

You shouldn't app for credit at least 6 mos before apping for a mortgage. (I believe that's the rule of thumb.) So, frankly, I think that she'd be better off letting the cards she has age and then apping after the mortgage.

Another caveat: If she keeps trying to add card before they've aged enough, she's just going to end up with a bunch of toy limit cards and low AAoA.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 15
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I, too, think she should wait.  I woulld suggest apping for the Zync in December and waiting at least 6 - 8 months before apping for anything else.  Everything is just too new and she shouldn't waste the inquiries.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.