Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Budget / Spending Tracking Tool for Personal Finances

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Need Budget / Spending Tracking Tool for Personal Finances

I know this is slightly off topic, but I am looking for a new money, budget and spending tracking tool. It can be either software, a web service or just an app that can pull my transaction histories from my credit cards and bank accounts, etc. Hopefully it would handle rent, utilities, random freelancing income, etc.

I'd like to visually track spending per categories similar to how Discover's interface shows you graphically what you are spending on. I use to have desktop software for this many, many years ago but it was _way_ too hard to keep up.  Mac compatible ++

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Budget / Spending Tracking Tool for Personal Finances

There are many web-based services, but I have avoided all of them for the simple reason that I like a hands on approach to my budget. I happen to be a freak like that, and most people like someone (read: a computer) compiling all the info and summarizing it for them in a nice little bow.

So depending on what type of approach you want to take, there are many options. Here's is what I offer to everyone on the forums, and you are welcome to take me up on this:

I have compiled a template budget Excel spreadsheet that can be used to track every expense, credit card balance, and bank account balance you possess. But it needs to be manually updated by the individual from time to time. I update daily, others are more likely weekly. If you send me a private message, I would be glad to provide the tool. It even comes with directions!

If this isn't for you, I'm sure others can suggest their favorite web-based service.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I actually use the desktop version of MINT for doing the budget. Depending on how "detailed" you want to make things, you can itemize specific funds, or make your own custom budget. The perk I like the most is the syncing from their servers, so you're getting realtime info, whether on road, or at home. The drawback is that they don't link up to all creditors though.

Message 3 of 9
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

I actually use the desktop version of MINT for doing the budget. Depending on how "detailed" you want to make things, you can itemize specific funds, or make your own custom budget. The perk I like the most is the syncing from their servers, so you're getting realtime info, whether on road, or at home. The drawback is that they don't link up to all creditors though.

You mean Quicken? 

Message 4 of 9
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

I prefer YNAB(you need a budget). It is more hands on approach but I like that as it keeps me involved in my spending rather than just auto uploading my bank details and looking at graphs.

Message 5 of 9
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I download YNAB but did not evaluate it before my trial was up. =( Maybe I'll find some way to evaluate it and see if it will work for me.

Message 6 of 9
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

Email then, I did and they offered to extend my trial and gave me a link for 20% off should I decide to buy it.
Message 7 of 9
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@kilj0y wrote:
Email then, I did and they offered to extend my trial and gave me a link for 20% off should I decide to buy it.

+1 - YNAB is the best budget software you are going to find at this time.

We have used it for two years now and it is quite good. Really makes you "think" about your money and how you spend it.

Give it a shot.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 9
mcf
Contributor

not budgeting but to look at all bills at one place, manilla is awesome!

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.