Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Chase Sapphire Preferred Auto-CLI Stragety

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Chase Sapphire Preferred Auto-CLI Stragety

I just got approved for CSP with 7000 CL and I have already finished 4k spending for 60K SUB. Also, I have already made the first payment for 1.6K and the current balance is about 4.5k.

Is there any stragety to trigger Auto CLI? I know there are some DPs that mentioned a large utilization but how to do it? I always pay down my balance before closing date, should I keep the current balance to bump up the utilization rate for CSP and PIF after closing date for the first month? or such a high utilization could be recorded even if I pay down the balance before the closing date? 

Thank you guys!

7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Need Chase Sapphire Preferred Auto-CLI Stragety

Unfortunately there is no strategy with Chase.
Use your card like you normally would, and see what happens.
A lot of times Chase will give up front whatever their algorithm believes your profile merits at the time of approval.
The only strategy I can think of is asking for a CLI at some point down the road. There will be a HP, results may be meh or great.
Good luck
Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got approved for CSP with 7000 CL and I have already finished 4k spending for 60K SUB. Also, I have already made the first payment for 1.6K and the current balance is about 4.5k.

Is there any stragety to trigger Auto CLI? I know there are some DPs that mentioned a large utilization but how to do it? I always pay down my balance before closing date, should I keep the current balance to bump up the utilization rate for CSP and PIF after closing date for the first month? or such a high utilization could be recorded even if I pay down the balance before the closing date? 

Thank you guys!

Chase obviously has visibility to your entire spend on the card. However if you never let balances remain on the statement, and then pay in full that statement balance by the due date of that statement....

then why do you need a higher CL?

CSP is a VISA Signature so you have the ability to exceed the CL. It sounds like you are perfectly capable of then paying that over-limit balance by the due date, so it is something to consider to do that. 

Exceed the CL on a PIF pattern for a few months and it may be that a CLI appears.  There is no guarantee of any CLI, but if you value the points you are earning, and you can exceed the CL, I don't see a downside.  

Your general FICO scores will be reduced by maxing out the CL, but it doesn't sound like you are interested in other apps at the moment and utilization adjusts down the road.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

This is no guarantee, but I put $3500 in plane tickets on my CSP one night and about the time the statement cut, Chase gave me an SP CLI for $1500 bringing me to $6500...  I also paid off about $5500 in spend on CFU a couple months earlier. When I called into Chase to make the transaction clear, the CSR wanted to make very sure my Chase cards would be fully functional when I arrived in Hawaii. They love being in your daily driver slot, especially on vacations! 😁

You'll notice around here Chase seems to give out SP CLI's in waves. Best bet is to keep your income updated and use your card diligently. As with most CC issuers, they like lots of spend and large payments. Remember that Chase also loves to SP your CR's just to see what you're up to with credit in general, so make sure you're handling your other accounts prudently as well.

Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Chase does like spend, but there's really no known way to trigger an automatic credit line increase.  They're often referred to as unicorns around here.  I have received ONE auto-CLI from Chase, which was a $1500 CLI on my Freedom card just a short 12 years after opening the account.

Constantly bumping up against your credit limit will of course cause it to be reviewed for a CLI, but that can also present problems with credit scoring and looking potentially risky to other lenders.  Everyone's profile is different and some may have no issues in doing this, while someone with a fairly thin and young credit profile might be sending up red flags by doing it.  Spending a lot every month but making more than one payment throughout the month would be a safer way to do this as you can manipulate what actually reports on your statement balance, while also showing Chase that "hey, I spend $8,000 a month on this card, obviously my credit line is too low."

And of course the trick a lot of people here use is to just apply for another Chase card so that you can move limits around as you see fit.  One thing about that is that people often open a CSP or CSR to move to cards like Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.  Large starting lines can and do happen with those cards, but if you were approved for a $7,000 CSP, it's doubtful that a F or FU application would result in a starting line more than a few thousand dollars any time in the near future unless there was a drastic change to your profile.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I've gotten several auto-CLI's on various accounts from Chase during my tenure on this forum but there really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it honestly.

End of the day I suspect I'm a "good" customer from Chase's algorithmic perspective: I run my financial life through Chase for pretty much all my spend (for all that it was goosed being on actual expense reimbursement for one of my gigs) other than the mortgage which I haven't found a good economical way to pay that with a credit card.  

That said the overwhelming majority of my Chase credit limits have come through new card acquisitions.  

Freedom: 1K -> 4K from auto-CLI's (and this hasn't been a heavily used accont)

CSR: 22K + 21500 = 43.5K none of which came from CLI's

FU: 22K -> 25K from auto CLI  (heavy use card)

Amazon: 8.5K flat

CIC: 5K -> 6.5K from auto CLI

CBP: 9k flat

So it's basically 7.5K out of a total of 96.5K or 7.7% and I'm nearly 100% confident I've gotten more auto-CLI's than most people.

Moral of the story, if you want more limit from Chase, just spend the HP.

        
Message 6 of 8
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I've gotten several auto-CLI's on various accounts from Chase during my tenure on this forum but there really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it honestly.

End of the day I suspect I'm a "good" customer from Chase's algorithmic perspective: I run my financial life through Chase for pretty much all my spend (for all that it was goosed being on actual expense reimbursement for one of my gigs) other than the mortgage which I haven't found a good economical way to pay that with a credit card.  

That said the overwhelming majority of my Chase credit limits have come through new card acquisitions.  

Freedom: 1K -> 4K from auto-CLI's (and this hasn't been a heavily used accont)

CSR: 22K + 21500 = 43.5K none of which came from CLI's

FU: 22K -> 25K from auto CLI  (heavy use card)

Amazon: 8.5K flat

CIC: 5K -> 6.5K from auto CLI

CBP: 9k flat

So it's basically 7.5K out of a total of 96.5K or 7.7% and I'm nearly 100% confident I've gotten more auto-CLI's than most people.

If it's a not a soft pull cli, then might as well apply for a new card and move over balances after the fact? Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If it's a not a soft pull cli, then might as well apply for a new card and move over balances after the fact? Smiley Very Happy

Well I think the jury is still out on how generous the newly advertised online CLI path is and I'd be truly astounded if they started doing SP CLI's but stranger things have happened.

A new account does count against 5/24 (or whatever it is, I haven't kept track) if you care about such things... so if I could ask for a CLI on say the Freedom and get ~22k like I did on the CSR/IHG/FU approvals back in the day, then I'd absolutely go that route regardless of HP or no HP on the CLI chance.

Color me skeptical though that the CLI's will be that large... I think the correct path for building limits with Chase specifically is still going to be opening up an account and then re-balancing the CL's.  

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.