cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help* Which Navy Federal Credit Union Credit Card to Apply for??

tag
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Need Help* Which Navy Federal Credit Union Credit Card to Apply for??

I'm interested in applying for an unsecure credit card so I recently got a NFCU account after reading so many good things about them on this site. I currently have no unsecure credit cards outside of a 500 Kay Jewler card. My Eq score is 648 FICO and only 2 negatives on the credit file and 7 years of good history. I'm looking to apply for a card with a balance upward of 10,000 and be approved, I'd actually would love to be approved for their platinum card. I don't know if I'm shooting too high for my first card with NFCU because I've only had the account less than a month. Any advise on which card would be with the FICO and credit details provided? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Need Help* Which Navy Federal Credit Union Credit Card to Apply for??

DEpending on your credit profile (score,baddies) and also income, NFCU can be very generous.

I personally prefer the Cashback card with no AF. The Flagship is also a good choice is you travel but has an AF of $49.

I don't like the point system on their cards personally.

Message 2 of 12
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I only have those to baddies. On is a closed charge off and the other is a paid off loan from 2007 that I feel 30 days behind on. My annual income with Military retirement is just above 110,000. Sad to say it took all of these years to get very serious about my credit, thanks to the site I'm learning a lot.

Message 3 of 12
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

You'll get approved, there's no doubt about it.. however, don't expect $10k right away.. I can see you getting $5k, but within a few months, once you hit the CLI button, you'll be up to $10k, no doubt about it. Just make sure you use the card a lot, and pay it off every month..

Message 4 of 12
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Awesome, thank you!

Message 5 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

goRewards is the newset NFCU card, and IMO, the best.  I did a PC to it from an older card.  You can use it internationally with no ForEx, plus there is no annual fee.  

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 12
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Being that I've only been a member of NFCU for a few days now do you think it would be to early to apply for a card today? My first direct deposit hasn't even hit the account yet. My fico today is still 648 with Equifax and I'm really wanting to go for a 5K and up card.

Message 7 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I joined and opened a card on the same day.   I have no direct deposit.  I have never touched my share savings, except to put in $5 when I applied for membership.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 12
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

+1

Message 9 of 12
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

I pulled the trigger, called and did an application over the phone. The customer service lady was extremely nice and told me it will be 3-5 days for an answer. I applied for the nRewards card. I guess all I can do now is wait for an email. I'm nervous because this will be my first time going for a credit card outside of an old 250 buck First Premier I had years ago. Hope to hear something soon.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.