cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a card quick - public records

tag
geemister

Need a card quick - public records

Hi there!  I'm in the middle of a divorce and have had limited income this year but my soon to be ex has plenty.  I am trying to get approved for a card before the divorce is final because he has excellent credit.  I've run my report and have 3 lates, 1 past 90 and 2 public records - 1 of which is in error, but with the government shut down, can't get to the IRS.  I am in the process of having the NYS removed.  They are both showing paid.

I recently applied for an Amex Blue Cash and was denied, I'm assuming because of the public records.  I called to find out if there was any factor that weighed more heavily and they told me that based on my FICO score alone, I would've been approved, but with all factors considered, was not.  My FICO here is listed at 677 (experien?) and Amex used equifax and said it was 650 (it's possible I have those two swapped).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on which card to apply for next.  I've already been to my bank (TDBank) and they told me that unsecured loans are a minimum score of 700 and that having an account with them does NOT help you in any way in getting a cc.  I'm considering going to a local credit union to see if I can open up a bunch of accounts all at once - checking, credit, loan to help buff up my score.

Ok, that's it and HELP!  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Need a card quick - public records

You can't really use your soon-to-be husband's income because you have no reasonable expectation to claims to his full income. You can however include whatever alimony money and payments you will be getting, if any, as income.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 64
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. I'm trying to understand why you need a card quick before the divorce is final. Is your ex signing the app?
Message 3 of 64
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Try the Cap1 or Barclays pre-qualifier.  Having any unpaid Public Records (legit or not) is going to be a show stopper for Amex, Chase, Citi, Discover.  Possibly even Cap1 and Barclays, but you never know.  I doubt you will get a CL higher than $500-$1000, unless your husband is the one applying and makes you an AU.

Capital One

Barclays

Message 4 of 64
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. I'm trying to understand why you need a card quick before the divorce is final. Is your ex signing the app?

Same question whats the ASAP need reason

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 64
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Surely, this is not a serious question. Even if OP succeeds with getting a credit card, she opens herself up to fraud charges.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 6 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Folks,

Could we please stick with the topic at hand rather than the insinuations and allegations of alleged potential misdeeds?

If I were trying to make a last ditch effort to get a useful tradeline to speed the repair process, I'd do it, and so would virtually anyone who found this forum in the first place.  That said, if there is an issue here, it would be so trivial to prove that I suspect it's not being done for this reason.  Technically on a HHI app it could be claimed, and this might be enough to get in: however, any joint application where's he's directly liable is a non-starter without a signature (without court / creditor approval at least), and even a hack divorce lawyer would have a field day with this one if charges were racked up on it.

That all said, there's been some good advice here offered and there's a lot to be said if you can clean up your report geemister to go do that and then look at building new positive tradelines once the divorce is finalized.

I've never been through it but divorces are financially messy, and doing something like this in this stage is possibly a bad idea regardless of why it's being done.

        
Message 7 of 64
Elcid89
Contributor

@geemister wrote:

Hi there!  I'm in the middle of a divorce and have had limited income this year but my soon to be ex has plenty.  I am trying to get approved for a card before the divorce is final because he has excellent credit.  I've run my report and have 3 lates, 1 past 90 and 2 public records - 1 of which is in error, but with the government shut down, can't get to the IRS.  I am in the process of having the NYS removed.  They are both showing paid.

I recently applied for an Amex Blue Cash and was denied, I'm assuming because of the public records.  I called to find out if there was any factor that weighed more heavily and they told me that based on my FICO score alone, I would've been approved, but with all factors considered, was not.  My FICO here is listed at 677 (experien?) and Amex used equifax and said it was 650 (it's possible I have those two swapped).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on which card to apply for next.  I've already been to my bank (TDBank) and they told me that unsecured loans are a minimum score of 700 and that having an account with them does NOT help you in any way in getting a cc.  I'm considering going to a local credit union to see if I can open up a bunch of accounts all at once - checking, credit, loan to help buff up my score.

Ok, that's it and HELP!  Thanks Smiley Happy

They will not consider his income unless he jointly applies for the card. Considering the situation, in which there is really no way he is going to agree to do that, you putting him on the application without his consent amounts to perpetrating a fraud. Don't do it.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 8 of 64
geemister

For those of you who didn't assume I'm a criminal, thank you for setting me straight - I did not know that his income would not be included in my total income when applying for a card.  That was the sole reason that I was in a hurry - that and the fact that I don't have a card in my name.  The two accounts that I had were closed due to inactivity.  I had no idea that could happen, but it did.

For those of you who DID assume I'm a criminal - wow.  I dont' know how you managed to extract that I was going to commit fraud and include him without consent.  I may be ignorant, but I'm not stupid and I'm surely not a felon - but, thanks for the vote of confidence - it was just what I needed in this difficult time.

As for the public records they are PAID and were paid in 2010.

So, with those clarifications, is there any REVISED advise about a credit card company that would issue me a card?  I don't care if it's only $300, but just something so I can start rebuilding my credit and preferably NOT a secured card, if that's even possible.

Message 9 of 64
fixingitohio
Contributor

Discover IT let me in the door with a $1000 limit with a 636 EQ (from myFICO), 2 paid PR's and 8 derogs.

I thank them every day and have cleaned up a lot of that crap.

They also gave my 18 yo son a Discover IT with a $750 limit with zilch on his CR.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.