Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about Amex changes

tag
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Need advice about Amex changes

Hello everyone! I have a quick question to see if anyone has any experience. DH has an Amex Hilton card, and it really is not fitting our needs now. I checked with Amex, and it cannot be converted right now. We are wanting a BCE or BCP, because it makes more sense (likely BCE). HIs current CL is 25K and EX FICO is 780. Any ideas on what to expect if we apply for the BCE? I want to move the CL from Hilton if possible. Thoughts of FR? Income is $71,000. CL can be moved, right? Thanks in advance for your insights.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice about Amex changes

I think it was something like,13 months, the card has to be open before you can do any CL movement or product changes.

Message 2 of 12
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was something like 13 months before you can do any movement or product changes.

Account was opened in August of 2014. The agent said it was because it was co-branded, but there may be the ability to do it in the future. Either way, I am not holding my breath. We run a decent amount through the card, and it would really be better as cash back, because with HH it just takes too many points for stays, IMO. I got a Hyatt card recently, and I think it will work better for our needs.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PandiferBear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was something like 13 months before you can do any movement or product changes.

Account was opened in August of 2014. The agent said it was because it was co-branded, but there may be the ability to do it in the future. Either way, I am not holding my breath. We run a decent amount through the card, and it would really be better as cash back, because with HH it just takes too many points for stays, IMO. I got a Hyatt card recently, and I think it will work better for our needs.

Hell ya, I would go with citi hilton reserve for the 2? nights free stay for 10k spend, annually. Much better option. It is cobranded and if they say nothing can be done:/ Just app for the BCP. it would be a much better card. It seems you got that card for rewards? Maybe you should check out the EDP. MR is 1MR to 1.5HH. Also, 1MR to 1 Delta Mile. I heard they also have an American Airline partner now. Even better. EDP/PRG combo is my go to. PRG for dining and when the groceries run out on the EDP. EDP for everything else. Since I don't have a god limit like you guys, I usually spend a lot on the othercards too but if i had to choose, i would just have these two.

Message 4 of 12
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hell ya, I would go with citi hilton reserve for the 2? nights free stay for 10k spend. much better option. It is cobranded and if they say nothing can be done:/ Just app for the BCP. it would be a much better card. It seems you got that card for rewards? Maybe you should check out the EDP. MR is 1MR for 1.5HH. Also, 1MR to 1 Delta Mile. I heard they also have an American Airline partner now. Even better.

It definitely worked when we got it. I also did some business travel a bit back, and that also helped. But we are not travelling much now, so maybe we will just app for a BC card. I just was a little worried because of the high CL on the existing card. I really don't want to throw up red flags, but I also am not about not maximizing what works for us. RIght now, the HH card is not the right one, and it doesn't look like it will be in the near future.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I edited. look again, sorry :/

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't seem to be inquiry sensitive from what I have seen.Is it only Amex you are looking for. compare BCP and BCE and see what is best for you guys. Since, it seems you want cash back cards. Discover and Chase is also good. Discover only for the double cash back making catagories 10% and normal spend 2% for the first year. Chase Freedom and saphire preferred work well together. If you only want Amex, you decide. It looks like you are leaning towards the BCE?

Message 7 of 12
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

No worries. I just do not want any drama, so I worry a bit with the current CL vs income. I think everything is in good enough order. It just started irking me looking at what we spent vs what we earn, and the points it takes for something good. Just does not work anymore. Thank you so much for all of your great ideas. You definitely brought up some options that I had not considered. 😊
Message 8 of 12
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

We both have Chase and Discover cards. It is husband's only Amex and has a great limit, so we are not wanting to jeopardize that. Probably BCE because I do not want to invest in an AF, because if Discover or Freedom are offering 5%, I would use that. Therefore, I think no AF would be best for us.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

go for it and come back and tell us the limit Smiley Happy Hope they match the Hilton

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.