Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about closing Chase card

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice about closing Chase card

agree with above posters..I would close it as I do not see a benefit from this card that other cards do not offer Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 13
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Haha, no sentimental reason to keep the card. I've never closed a cc account before so it makes me nervous for some reason....lol    I really want to close the bp, vs and brylane. I will close the bp first. Should I space out the others I am closing? Christmas is coming up and I have a 1500.00 trip I will be running a balance on from dec.- feb.  So should I close bp now and then the others after March?

@FinStar wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, Chase cannot allocate the CL from a private label product to your mainline CCs, such as the CSP or Freedom.

I didn't even think about that being a private label. My original hopes were for the BP card to be upgraded to the BP Visa but they told me a while back that I would have to apply seperately for the BP Visa. I don't need it that bad.

Correct, you would have to apply for the BP Visa separately - no upgrade.  Sounds like you're still on the fence?  IMO, I would close it - unless there are sentimental reasons you're attached to the $400 and the CC  Smiley Wink

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 12 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@snowkitty wrote:

Haha, no sentimental reason to keep the card. I've never closed a cc account before so it makes me nervous for some reason....lol    I really want to close the bp, vs and brylane. I will close the bp first. Should I space out the others I am closing? Christmas is coming up and I have a 1500.00 trip I will be running a balance on from dec.- feb.  So should I close bp now and then the others after March?

@FinStar wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, Chase cannot allocate the CL from a private label product to your mainline CCs, such as the CSP or Freedom.

I didn't even think about that being a private label. My original hopes were for the BP card to be upgraded to the BP Visa but they told me a while back that I would have to apply seperately for the BP Visa. I don't need it that bad.

Correct, you would have to apply for the BP Visa separately - no upgrade.  Sounds like you're still on the fence?  IMO, I would close it - unless there are sentimental reasons you're attached to the $400 and the CC  Smiley Wink

I would close the BP card 1st.  Then, you can evaluate your situation at springtime and prune the other two - perhaps VS if you're not using or reaping the rewards fast enough and then Brylane last.  This will be ultimately up to you of course - weigh the pros and cons.  Ultimately, evaluate utilization factors, age (no AF) or just plain and simple not carry any CCs you no longer need.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.