cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about closing Chase card

Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice about closing Chase card

agree with above posters..I would close it as I do not see a benefit from this card that other cards do not offer Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 13
Established Contributor

Haha, no sentimental reason to keep the card. I've never closed a cc account before so it makes me nervous for some reason....lol    I really want to close the bp, vs and brylane. I will close the bp first. Should I space out the others I am closing? Christmas is coming up and I have a 1500.00 trip I will be running a balance on from dec.- feb.  So should I close bp now and then the others after March?

FinStar wrote:

snowkitty wrote:

FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, Chase cannot allocate the CL from a private label product to your mainline CCs, such as the CSP or Freedom.

I didn't even think about that being a private label. My original hopes were for the BP card to be upgraded to the BP Visa but they told me a while back that I would have to apply seperately for the BP Visa. I don't need it that bad.

Correct, you would have to apply for the BP Visa separately - no upgrade.  Sounds like you're still on the fence?  IMO, I would close it - unless there are sentimental reasons you're attached to the $400 and the CC  Smiley Wink

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

snowkitty wrote:

Haha, no sentimental reason to keep the card. I've never closed a cc account before so it makes me nervous for some reason....lol    I really want to close the bp, vs and brylane. I will close the bp first. Should I space out the others I am closing? Christmas is coming up and I have a 1500.00 trip I will be running a balance on from dec.- feb.  So should I close bp now and then the others after March?

FinStar wrote:

snowkitty wrote:

FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, Chase cannot allocate the CL from a private label product to your mainline CCs, such as the CSP or Freedom.

I didn't even think about that being a private label. My original hopes were for the BP card to be upgraded to the BP Visa but they told me a while back that I would have to apply seperately for the BP Visa. I don't need it that bad.

Correct, you would have to apply for the BP Visa separately - no upgrade.  Sounds like you're still on the fence?  IMO, I would close it - unless there are sentimental reasons you're attached to the $400 and the CC  Smiley Wink

I would close the BP card 1st.  Then, you can evaluate your situation at springtime and prune the other two - perhaps VS if you're not using or reaping the rewards fast enough and then Brylane last.  This will be ultimately up to you of course - weigh the pros and cons.  Ultimately, evaluate utilization factors, age (no AF) or just plain and simple not carry any CCs you no longer need.

Message 13 of 13