Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for my future credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice for my future credit cards

Hello all!

I’am a long time lurker and want to thank you all for educating me thus far.

I started my credit journey one year ago with a student discover IT and since then have added a capital one journey (QS now) and a amex everyday. My scores are hovering all around 700 right now and I have really want to diversify my credit card portfolio throughout my life and glad I started relatively young. With that being said when and what cards do you recommend me getting in the near future. I have 4 INQ on TU and 2 on EQ and EX. Obviously its ultimately my decision and just need some guidance on card(s) that I wouldn’t waste a HP on.

PS

Just turned 21, If I include my parents income I can claim a conservative 60k a year. Also I opted out for some reason because im weird like that lol

The ED is the last card I got around 4 months ago. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Re: Need advice for my future credit cards

Welcome! Yeah you're right it depends on what you're looking for in a card. Chase could be a good choice for you as they're a quality top notch lender in my book. Have you considered opting in and seeing if you have any prequals? Granted a prequal isn't the end all be all but it'll give you a decent idea of where you might stand. Plus you can always opt back out.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like a good idea actually. Im not sure if this makes sense but generally how long does it take for lets say chase to know im opted in? 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome! 

You can only claim your parents income if you can "reasonably access" the income. Do your parents keep you on their checking account and let you spend their money freely? If not, that would be lying to the creditor-- and they'll probably figure out that not that many 21 year olds make $60K on their own.

You have a very nice portfolio for just starting out. I'd second the PP's recommendation and opt in to prequalifications, look at Citibank, Chase, and Bank of America. At this point you should prequal for something. Or, honestly, you could simply do nothing and just garden with the cards you have, PIF, and hunt for some CLI's, and you'll end up fine. Good luck!

Message 4 of 7
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Not 100% of the time frame blazer. I read on here the other day it only took ~a week for someone. I'd say 30-60 days should be sufficient time to start seeing some prequal offers. Maybe someone else can speak to that subject
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your advice. I will opt in and report back with what I get. I most likely wont hop out of the garden unless a Freedom, CSP (lol) or Venture pop up. I think letting my cards age has a greater benefit rather than settling for something I really don’t need right now.

Message 6 of 7
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

That's reasonable, sound thinking. Wish I could've been that disciplined at 21 lol. Definitely keep us posted
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.