Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on US Bank product change!

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Need advice on US Bank product change!

Hi Fico Forum Friends!

I need some advice on getting a US Bank product change.

I currently have 2 credit cards with US Bank:

US Bank Platinum: $300 CL (it used to be a secured card but now its unsecured)

US Bank Platinum: $4000 CL

I was told that both cards are eligible for a product change to either a Flexperks or a Cash+ card.

What would you do?

I was thinking of having them convert the lower limit card to a Cash+ in hopes that maybe they would raise the limit (I thought all Cash+ cards had to be Signature Visa cards) but I'm not sure if that would actually work.

I was hoping that someday they would drop the APR on the $4000 card so that it would become my "emergency/carry a balance over several months" card but the APR will be as high as reward cards when the introductory period is finshed.

I'm not sure if I want the Flexperks card. I think I would prefer cashback over points that can be diluted.

What does the fico family suggest? Cat Embarassed

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
rustystick
New Contributor

Re: Need advice on US Bank product change!

gow long u had them to do pc? (just wondering i have a 1.5k card wanting to do the same)

i prefer the flexperks now over the cash + after having discover it and freedom.. covered most of my regular spending
CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 2 of 11
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@rustystick wrote:
gow long u had them to do pc? (just wondering i have a 1.5k card wanting to do the same)

i prefer the flexperks now over the cash + after having discover it and freedom.. covered most of my regular spending

I've had the unsecured card since April of 2009....the larger card since September of 2013 2012. [edit]

Also, I should mention my only 5% rotating category card is the Citi Dividends card which hasnt been offering the best 5% categories this year.

Message 3 of 11
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

@rustystick wrote:

I've had the unsecured card since April of 2009....the larger card since September of 2013.

Sept 2013 eh? ;D

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 11
rustystick
New Contributor

thanks for the info Smiley Happy

i believe there was another post did the same thing, and believe they have him a cli on a 300 line to 7000 for converting to the flex perks
CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 5 of 11
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I've had the unsecured card since April of 2009....the larger card since September of 2013.

Sept 2013 eh? ;D

Sorry..I'll go back and fix...I meant to say 2012. Smiley Embarassed

Message 6 of 11
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@rustystick wrote:
thanks for the info Smiley Happy

i believe there was another post did the same thing, and believe they have him a cli on a 300 line to 7000 for converting to the flex perks

Wow! thanks for the info! 

I'm a bit worried because I have been ignoring my US Bank cards since they didn't offer any rewards. I think I'll convert the smaller card for sure, just to see what they offer.  The Flexperks card is definitely a Signature card right?

Message 7 of 11
rustystick
New Contributor

Yeah.. Simular underwriting as cash +

-_- just called and said im not elegible for upgrades yet.. guess i'll call back in a few months and try again

@charyot77 wrote:

Hi Fico Forum Friends!

I need some advice on getting a US Bank product change.

I currently have 2 credit cards with US Bank:

US Bank Platinum: $300 CL (it used to be a secured card but now its unsecured)

US Bank Platinum: $4000 CL

I was told that both cards are eligible for a product change to either a Flexperks or a Cash+ card.

What would you do?

I was thinking of having them convert the lower limit card to a Cash+ in hopes that maybe they would raise the limit (I thought all Cash+ cards had to be Signature Visa cards) but I'm not sure if that would actually work.

I was hoping that someday they would drop the APR on the $4000 card so that it would become my "emergency/carry a balance over several months" card but the APR will be as high as reward cards when the introductory period is finshed.

I'm not sure if I want the Flexperks card. I think I would prefer cashback over points that can be diluted.

What does the fico family suggest? Cat Embarassed

Message 8 of 11
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I just called and had the $300 card upgraded.

The woman said it would definitely be a Cash+ Visa card but when I asked if it would be a "signature" card she said "it will just be a regular card". I think I just ended up speaking with one of the US Bank reps that wasn't super knowledgeable about the different Visa cards.

She said I would get the same credit limit and that I could it "apply" for a credit limit increase. I think I'll wait to see how this $300 "signature" card checks out.

Message 9 of 11
JonStur
Established Contributor

If you don't qualify for the Cash+, then they offer you the regular card. Usually your balance has to at least be $5000 before you get a Siggy, unless things have changed. My FlexPerks bal was $8000 when I pc'd.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.