Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on using a CC to make a cash purchase

tag
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need advice on using a CC to make a cash purchase

Request balance transfer checks from the creditor. You can make the check out to yourself and once the funds are available in your checking account, write a check to the vendor. 

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I went rogue.  My chase cards currently have a 0% BT offer available online until tomorrow, with 2% fee.  I called customer service to ask about checks, but she said they're only sent sporadically and I can't request them.  But she said I can go through with the online thing, put a debit card number, and it will ask for bank routing info, send the money to the bank, and be treated as a BT under the offer terms.  That sounded like the best option, but still 2%.  So I did a little more poking around and ended up applying for the Chase Slate, hoping I can use the same procedure to get funds to my checking acct at the 0% APR and 0% BT fee promo rate for 15 months.  

I got instantly approved for $12,000 (more than enough) with the 0%.  Now I'll wait to see how this works... I might chicken out and not even buy the darn thing I want Smiley Very Happy.  

Hope I didn't screw up!  Don't need any more hard pulls this month.. ugh.

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bofa has a same day transfer from CC to checkings and a direct deposit from CC to checkings that takes a few days. Which of these options cost less? Does anyone know? Transfer vs direct deposit. A bit confuse with the options and advantages BofA has with this stuff
Message 13 of 30
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Same price.  One's just quicker if you're also banking with them which doesn't really make sense since there's so many better options for checking and savings rates in CU's.

6-19-2017 9-17-01 PM.jpg

Just have to make sure they record it as a BT and not a CA.

Message 14 of 30
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, I went rogue.  My chase cards currently have a 0% BT offer available online until tomorrow, with 2% fee.  I called customer service to ask about checks, but she said they're only sent sporadically and I can't request them.  But she said I can go through with the online thing, put a debit card number, and it will ask for bank routing info, send the money to the bank, and be treated as a BT under the offer terms.  That sounded like the best option, but still 2%.  So I did a little more poking around and ended up applying for the Chase Slate, hoping I can use the same procedure to get funds to my checking acct at the 0% APR and 0% BT fee promo rate for 15 months.  

I got instantly approved for $12,000 (more than enough) with the 0%.  Now I'll wait to see how this works... I might chicken out and not even buy the darn thing I want Smiley Very Happy.  

Hope I didn't screw up!  Don't need any more hard pulls this month.. ugh.

I was going to suggest the Slate because when I got mine, if you do a BT within the first 60 days, there is no BT fee. Were you offered that? Check your card agreement.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 30
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Discover also offers "direct to checking account" with promotional financing (aka lower rate) with of course the BT fee. 

Capture.JPG

Message 16 of 30
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Discover also offers "direct to checking account" with promotional financing (aka lower rate) with of course the BT fee. 

Capture.JPG

Thanks, that's good to know. Discover has been mailing me checks withe same offer for over a year, if I were going to use it the direct transfer to a checking account would be alot easier than the check. I took a small BT last year for a few months, the 4.99% w/no fee is better if you plan to repay in 6 months or so.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditInspired wrote:

I was going to suggest the Slate because when I got mine, if you do a BT within the first 60 days, there is no BT fee. Were you offered that? Check your card agreement.

Well, that is what I'm hoping I got.  It says YOU'RE APPROVED!  Smiley Tongue  And then "Your credit line is $12,000.00.  Your purchase APR is 15.99% variable.  Your intro APR is 0% for the first 15 billing cycles your account is open."  I think I have to wait for the cardmember agreement in the mail, right?  

When I log into the account I can initiate the balance transfer, and it says I'll see the terms & conditions and fees a few steps in.  I just didn't attempt to initiate anything yet... Maybe if I get curious later I'll try to go just far enough to get to that page and hope I can turn back! Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 30
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

So when I'm looking at my old Slate account I see this...

6-29-2017 8-43-53 PM.jpg

On my new FU I get this:

6-29-2017 8-44-26 PM.jpg

Knowing it came with a 0% for 15 months though the only question would be if it's $0 fee or 3% which could be looked up on the app page if you're needing it before hitting continue a couple of times.

Message 19 of 30
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Plastiq!!!!!!!

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.