Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on what to do with cards

tag
uchihamadara85
New Visitor

Need advice on what to do with cards

Hi, I am 19 and new to ficoforum.  I was first approved for the discover it student card around december 2012. I was declined for two other cards, but I don;t remember what they were. then during the summer i applied for two more student cards thinking I would get rejected by at least one, but I got approved for both the capital one journey and the citi dividend platinum select. 

Now fast forward to this month, I applied for the chase freedom, Amex bce and the fidelity amex, and I got approved for all of them. These are some greats cards, and now I regret applying for the capital one journey and the citi student card becasue I feel like they arent very useful anymore, especialy the capital one. I was thnking about cancelling at least one of them, but i've been told that its a bad idea. Those two cards have only been open for a few months, but i dont know how back on an impact it could have on my score. I was also thinking that I could get a product change for the citi and the journey, but i dont know if thats possible. I want to know what some of you guys wold do if you were in my situation. Cancel? Upgrade?

Cap1-1000

Citi- 2000

discover - 1000

Chase freedom - 2000

Amex BCE - 2000

Fidelity - 1000

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on what to do with cards

You've got a great lineup, and I would focus on building history and getting CLIs and so on.

Getting lots of cards early on can be a dead end -- it's better to have fewer cards with higher CLs.

Cancelling cards will have no immediate effect on AAoA, but might hurt your utilization.

Message 2 of 9
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Just keep your cards in a sock drawer if they have no annual fee. I carry 2 cards with me and use the other ones for special purchase/promotions only. If you feel the urge to cancel it, do it. If you can resist it, stop thinking about credit cards and just let it grow. We are both pretty young and have a great line up already. 

Congrats on the BCE!

Message 3 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Great line up of cards if they have an annual fee and won't product change I would close them. If not hang on to them and put a small charge every 3 months or so for utilization. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 9
uchihamadara85
New Visitor

Thanks for the advice. None of my cards have an AF so I'll just keep them.

Message 5 of 9
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@uchihamadara85 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. None of my cards have an AF so I'll just keep them.

That's not a bad idea for now. The Cap1 and Citi cards may not be as useful to you, but their CLs do help to pad your util. You have a good line up of cards and at this point what you need to focus on is allowing them to age. Eventually you can expect to get CLIs on some of your cards and you may reach a point where you decide to close the cards that aren't useful to you. Personally, I'd build up at least a couple of year's history with them, since they aren't costing you anything. When you do eventually close them, remember that they will continue to show on your reports for about 10 years, so your AAoA won't be immediately affected.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck as you begin to build your credit. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

You've got a great lineup, and I would focus on building history and getting CLIs and so on.

Getting lots of cards early on can be a dead end -- it's better to have fewer cards with higher CLs.

Cancelling cards will have no immediate effect on AAoA, but might hurt your utilization.

Having mulitple good cards is rarely a problem, as long as you don't get saddled with the dreaded $500 CL prime card usally a borderline approval, low income, or approved on recon will grow at 1/2 the normal rate if at all. The OP's cards have decent limits will grow with time. And will help his AAoA be more stable as time goes on. Having just a few cards to start out isn't a way to get high limit cards in my opinion, when there are only 3 or 4 creditors or less no one wants to be the first to move you to a higher teir so you run the risk of staying where you are with only small auto-cli's over time you will get to good limits but it will take years unless you have a factor that speeds the process, above average income, very high fico. New cards tend to have a higher limit if you are a garden club member, old ones grow slower.

Not many here talk about tiers but you can see if you read the posts, prime tiers would be $500-$999(approved but we don't trust you much),  $1000-$4999 starting out in primeville, actual CL related to income and existing CL's, $5000-$9999 arrived in primeville, $10000-14999 doing well, $15,000-19,999 good customer, decent income,  $20,000+ long term customer and/or above average income, and  760+ FICO.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 9
samm90
New Contributor

Like others have said, great cards. Keep them all and in another year convert the journey to a quicksilver. Once you make over 35k and graduate if you add the us bank cash+ you can get 5% back on 95 percent of your purchases.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 8 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

In case it wasn't explicit, stop applying for things. You are off to a great start. Keep all those cards open, let the inquiries age off, then pc to cards that you want. The history that you build while letting the inquiries age will practically guarantee your success. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.