Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise re tuff decision - not sure of impact on scores

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Need advise re tuff decision - not sure of impact on scores

Contacted my credit union to see how my rebuild was going toward refi and they gave me some options.  I have about 10k worth of repairs to house I need to do prior to refi (damn storm damage - issues with leaky balcony and roof had collapsed in bathroom, fixed roof need to fix bathroom).

CU told me that they could give me a personal/unsecured line of credit based on my income and scores up to 20k.  In addition, I could use that single pull for LOC for an application to their MC up to CL of 5k.  (15k loan would be about $500 per month)  They pull EQ so I need to wait for CO to be removed prior to going forward.

My questions: The LOC will be paid off in 1 year prior to refi (or shorter time if needed).  The interest rate will be 6.8%.  I need this so I can keep my house appraised at a value to avoid PMI when I refi and I need to stop the potential water damage from balcony.  Loan officer said that as long as paid off by refi I should be fine.  Do yall agree?

What will this two need accounts to do credit score?  Should I push back my AMEX application from 9/12 to later this year? say 12/12?

Thanks for input Smiley Happy

Duncan

EDIT: please move into rebuilding forum...put here by accident and not sure if this is best spot for it (kind of covers multiple areas from mortgage to cards to rebuild)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Need advise re tuff decision - not sure of impact on scores

Do you have the option to get a loan instead of line of credit? I ask because loc may report as a revolving account and amount owed may count in utilization. A loan, however, would be installment and this excluded from utilization. Also, do you want the card? If you don't need it, why take the hit on AAoA, especially when you are looking at other cards and a refi.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 3
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advise re tuff decision - not sure of impact on scores

Thats a good pt about UTIL and I'll look into it. I only have 2 secured cards right now. I was planning on getting AMEX and maybe 1 more now before refi and then 1 after refi before reported. So, I could use another card right now.

My AAoA is still high and the introduction of 3 lines shouldn't hurt too badly. Like insaid, tuff decision and it has many factors to it. Just trying to do best for me.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.